1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Isn't low carb extremely difficult?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Rabdos, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Billy_Pilgrim

Billy_Pilgrim LADA · Active Member

Just occurred to me there's booze in everything I've mentioned. Hmmmm.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Nothing wrong with booze, it tricks your liver nicely. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

Admittedly, if you're not willing to do any cooking or have trouble finding the time, it can be more tricky to eat low carb. But it's not impossible, by any means. Grab a small pre-made green salad and cheesy coleslaw, a Babybel or two, small tin of pink salmon or flavoured tuna or small packet of meat, whatever you fancy, splash of mayo or other sugar free dressing and you have a meal from any decent supermarket.

In a restaurant, order a double bacon cheeseburger without the bun or chips, extra salad. You'd be amazed at how many places are now accustomed to hearing that. In a posher restaurant, they'll be so happy if you order an expensive 10oz. ribeye or salmon fillet and salad, they won't care if you ask for the chips to be left off. Or on the side - your dining partners may appreciate them. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds delicious! Thank you so much

5. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes eating out looks more difficult this it is ,for example I was out with extended family (daughter and son in law and his family ) Every thing on the menu had spuds or wraps etc I didn't want to make a fuss so I just quietly asked if I could have the chicken breast and veg without any potatoes .I got a huge chicken breast and loads of broccoli brilliant!.On another occasion our Grandson took us out for lunch to a lovely cafe with all local produce but it was all on sandwiches with home made bread but I asked if I could have the home roast ham and some local cheese with salad instead of on a sandwich and they were happy to make it for me .Sometimes you just smile and ask
    CAROL

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Babybel and Pepperoni

• Like Like x 1
  7. Orangeteddy

Orangeteddy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I went out to eat last night for a Christmas meal with friends. The place we went to is a large gastro pub type place with a very extensive menu. I selected a chicken dish that would be served on a bed of mash so asked them to leave off the mash.

Stupidly I thought the meal would come with a small garnish. At least of veg.

Nope.

Result was giant plate, empty except for chicken breast.

I kid you not.

So I ordered a side of cauli cheese.

Why is veg so alien to restaurants?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. FloraDora

FloraDora I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is so sad! I think you were very unlucky and they missed a chance to impress a new customer. Some places are brilliant and others not - you have to kiss a lot of frogs in life! I eat lunch out quite often ......... All Day Breakfast is my go to choice failing anything else!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm ordering food without the listed accompaniments I always ask them to make up the space on the plate with a pile of veg, both for tummy-filling and value-for-money reasons. I don't like chips, so I'll often have ham, eggs and veg, or steak and veg - I learned very early on in my life with Mr S that 'oh, I'll just have your chips then' meant I'd be hungry later......... because obviously I'd then only get the ham and eggs with nothing else!

I prefer the thought of empty plates being brought back into the kitchen when diners have finished, rather than a wasted pile of food that people had ordered despite having no intention of eating them.

:)

10. LizaI

LizaI Prediabetes · Newbie

Our local garage shop has jumped on the low carb wagon next to the pies, they sell "Banting snack " a poached egg wrapped in streaky bacon
    They also sell two meat balls, two boiled eggs and cheese in a packet
    So cute!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a soup maker and that is the sort of vegetable soup that I make with whatever I have in the fridge

12. AdamJames

AdamJames Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd consider food you can carry with you, even in a pocket and doesn't go off too quickly.

Nuts. Mixtures of nuts and tiny amounts of sweetness like raisins. Cheese even - you can get away with not keeping many cheeses in the fridge for quite a while. Beef jerky. At Tesco last night I found a few packets of interesting things like that - pulled pork jerky etc. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. Some jerky is very low carb, some has a fair bit of carbs from the flavourings. Cured meats: Peperami, Salami, Chorizo etc. You can get pre-cooked sausages from supermarkets by Walls, designed to be microwaved. Eat them cold if you can stand it. Buy a sausage roll in a coffee shop and get rid of the pastry or reduce it to an amount that fits your plan.

Having tried many different ways of eating over the last 3 months, including low-carbing down to less than 20g a day, I found it helps to redefine, or even get rid of, the concept of a "meal". Food is food. A pocket full of nuts will easily supply your calories for a day or more, though of course you'd want a more balanced diet when you are at home!

Also you can get fast food and throw away the carbs, e.g. get a burger then throw away the bun. Fried chicken is not a bad option on a purely low-carb perspective. Take the coating off or just eat a small part of the coating.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook