Issues with highs - 780g

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my son's on day 2 automode in 780G and I'm having the same issues, it seems to want to float around 13 even at night when he's sleeping and doing nothing. I will see in the next couple of days how it will pan out before I'd call DE to tweak the basal. I have satisfactory experience with 670G closed loop and I have high expectations in this one.

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 780g uses a newer infusion set, so when you remove it verify the plastic tubing is not bent would be the first thing to check. I will repeat myself, when removing the blue plastic funnel from the needle you must rotate until it is fully releasing and falling off into your hand. Next, notify your trainer and inform them about the high BG before making any changes to your pump. Not sure, but it may take up to a week plus before the pump learns your bodies requirements for insulin, so it may be still in the evaluating stage. I would personally be adding bolus to bring the BG levels down as I use a scale of 3U per 5.5mmol/L which has evolved over my many decades of insulin injections. Now, I will add carbs to my pump when you have excess BG readings then read how much insulin has been selected, if the units needed are less than required use the back arrow and modify the carbs until you have the selected the correct solution.
You will get a handle on your bolus thru trial and error, over time by using the CGM to show the response to the injection. keep track of the response, writing down the amount entered and your BG drops while also monitoring the times. By monitoring the active time while the insulin is dropping your BS, you can then modify your active insulin times on your pump to match up with your body. This is why I say it is up to you, the person with diabetes to control your treatment.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Same story here.I had excellent control on 670g pump. The 780g is killing me. Smartguard auto corrects meal boluses (it HALVES my breakfast bolus). Then it starts “adjusting” by adding micro correction boluses only after I go high. It then just keeps me high for hours waiting for the bg to start to come down.
It won’t let me give correction boluses and the only way to correct is to lie and tell it I’ve had extra carbs. Then when the correction kicks in, bg crashes into hypo because the ****** pump has been stacking micro boluses for 3 hrs.
I have tried changing every setting: ISF, carb ratios, target bg, insulin duration—none of it works and, as I know my true values were correct before I started, idk *** is wrong with their algorithm. It’s like it’s designed on data from type 2 diabetics and totally useless for type1 with high insulin sensitivity and low insulin/carb ratios.
I’m going back to my old pump soon as this thing is literally making me too sick to think.

mod edit to remove expletive
**Update - I turned off the automatic corrections - kept the smart guard on and it does a pretty good job at keeping my BG in check now. And if I do start to rise, if I miscalculate or I forget to bolus, I can correct manually and this has been working great for me. Not getting the full use of everything it does but I'm much happier with it and can interject when I need to. **

I am having exactly the same issue. Running high all day in automatic mode or smartguard and my control is great in manual mode. I thought I was doing something wrong because everyone I speak to is saying how fantastic it is and I've had nothing but constant highs since I swapped over to the automated mode. So disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: FatCatAnna

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm, dishonest people that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell!
Hi. Same story here.I had excellent control on 670g pump. The 780g is killing me. Smartguard auto corrects meal boluses (it HALVES my breakfast bolus). Then it starts “adjusting” by adding micro correction boluses only after I go high. It then just keeps me high for hours waiting for the bg to start to come down.
It won’t let me give correction boluses and the only way to correct is to lie and tell it I’ve had extra carbs. Then when the correction kicks in, bg crashes into hypo because the ****** pump has been stacking micro boluses for 3 hrs.
I have tried changing every setting: ISF, carb ratios, target bg, insulin duration—none of it works and, as I know my true values were correct before I started, idk *** is wrong with their algorithm. It’s like it’s designed on data from type 2 diabetics and totally useless for type1 with high insulin sensitivity and low insulin/carb ratios.
I’m going back to my old pump soon as this thing is literally making me too sick to think.

mod edit to remove expletive
Hey there Private01 - curious to know - did you ever get things sorted out. You sound like my twin in the Medtronic 780G. I've been thinking of giving the pump back to Medtronic - but after almost 3 months of asking for help from Medtronic and my CDE at the hospital I go to (plus I've been posting about my probs on social media) - I've had emails/voice mails from Medtronic wanting to help. Because it's a long weekend (like in the UK - we celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday) - I'll respond to Medtronic next week. Oh the joys of technology - sometimes I think the reason I'm on meds now for mental help - is mainly due to all these gadgets we now use. I never thought about diabetes much the first 45 years (I've been T1D since childhood) - and now - it's like - diabetes is ruling me - not the other way around! Whip it Whip it!!

Reactions: Prancy

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi my son's on day 2 automode in 780G and I'm having the same issues, it seems to want to float around 13 even at night when he's sleeping and doing nothing. I will see in the next couple of days how it will pan out before I'd call DE to tweak the basal. I have satisfactory experience with 670G closed loop and I have high expectations in this one.
How are things going for your son now with the #780G - my story is same as yours with being high at night - and waking up - despite going to bed under 6.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**Update - I turned off the automatic corrections - kept the smart guard on and it does a pretty good job at keeping my BG in check now. And if I do start to rise, if I miscalculate or I forget to bolus, I can correct manually and this has been working great for me. Not getting the full use of everything it does but I'm much happier with it and can interject when I need to. **

I am having exactly the same issue. Running high all day in automatic mode or smartguard and my control is great in manual mode. I thought I was doing something wrong because everyone I speak to is saying how fantastic it is and I've had nothing but constant highs since I swapped over to the automated mode. So disappointed.
I have been having the same problems as everyone else. The dang 780 doesn't give me near enough insulin for food. It halves it. I go high within a hour after eating and stay there for several hours before it starts to come down. I am sent low through the night and it just doesn't seem to be working. A few times I thought it was my site not working. That is what the slope on my cgm looks like. My graph looks like Mount Everest. Staying high for hours is unacceptable IMO. Medtronic has got to make it safer for people to transition over to the 780. This is NOT SAFE!!!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: FatCatAnna

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been having the same problems as everyone else. The dang 780 doesn't give me near enough insulin for food. It halves it. I go high within a hour after eating and stay there for several hours before it starts to come down. I am sent low through the night and it just doesn't seem to be working. A few times I thought it was my site not working. That is what the slope on my cgm looks like. My graph looks like Mount Everest. Staying high for hours is unacceptable IMO. Medtronic has got to make it safer for people to transition over to the 780. This is NOT SAFE!!!!!!
Hey Dee - you've maybe read my posts in other social media accounts about my trial with the #780G (I started on it back in April - but had been trialing the #770G where AutoMode was horrible for me - so kept it in Manual).

I finally have been heard by Medtronic Canada (they're looking into some weird scary situations while I was on holiday - where the pump went slightly wonky) - but I also attended a virtual meeting last week for those of us new to the 780G or wanting to learn more if they're already on the fence post about upgrading. It was excellent, and I learned some new things. A few days later after that virtual meeting, saw not just one but TWO CDE's at my local hospital. Since being on the pump trial back in September, even with requesting help, I've been on my own learning about the pump (thank goodness for forums like this right?).

Main thing, I've got the pump set up correctly. A few tweaks were made - and since then - my blood sugars very rarely have gone above 10 (I have always been tightly controlled - part of the OCD in me). So, maybe best to seek out some advise from your CDE's? I know for myself, it's taken almost 2 months for the SmartGuard (SG) to get to know me, even with my going into Manual Mode.

One thing, what is your ISF (I had to change mine), I:C (I had to change mine slowly as I tested out the system). Other than that, with the algorithm, changing your basal rates won't make any difference. And remember, make sure the basal set up when you're out of SG - should be tested out properly to ensure you don't have whacky blood sugars if bumped out of SG.

I noticed you're in Canada too like myself (I'm an expat - so have a thing for Diabetes UK) - but now live in Ontario!

Justin04

Hey Dee. Your carb ratio is wrong. I started off like this with my endo having my ratio at 15:1 and refusing to change it. I’ve since gone against and am at an 8.5:1 and 10:1 during periods set and I’m now 85+ TIR. And that’s coming from someone that has had a deadset gut full of Medtronic CGM….

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Dee. Your carb ratio is wrong. I started off like this with my endo having my ratio at 15:1 and refusing to change it. I’ve since gone against and am at an 8.5:1 and 10:1 during periods set and I’m now 85+ TIR. And that’s coming from someone that has had a deadset gut full of Medtronic CGM….
Can you elaborate with an update. I’m studying this thread and wondering what has happened to everyone.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah not sure. I just chimed in the other day and was the last reply. Maybe I scared everyone off???
Well, your latest report was good, as you seemed on track and that’s promising. I get how setting the M 780 with proper Basal and insulin carb ratio would be important. I’m not sure why that would be different on different pumps, say another Medtronic p, but assuming that’s set properly, if you’re over 80% TIR, that’s awesome! And, if you aren’t getting repeated notifications or wild BG numbers that are far from fingerstick numbers, that sounds positive to me. It encourages me to keep 780 on top of my options.