It never rains but it pours...

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 about three months ago, and although it took me a while I was beginning to come to terms with my diagnosis, and had started to make changes to my lifestyle in order to help improve my health. I had begun to watch my diet, and take more exercise, and I lost over a stone. Then a couple of weeks ago I was driving into work on my scooter and a mobility scooter drove out onto the road straight in front of me. The driver of the mobility scooter was fine, but I swerved to avoid him and came off my bike, badly damaging my knee in the process. I am now in a lot of pain, and on crutches - bang goes my exercise for several weeks....

Sorry - I just needed to vent. I had been doing so well and now I am stuck here feeling sorry for myself :-(

M

mist

What a jerk mobility scooter driver! Seriously those things are a pain! I've been hit numerous times by them, they just whizz around without a care.

Hope your knee recovers quickly and you can resume your exercise.

Chrisle68

There should be a test for them things. Almost run over by one in lakeside last weekend. When I said something to him got a mouth full of abuse Saying he's disabled and I should not be in he's way as he was busy .
Hope you get better soon Remember just take it easy

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree life often seems to kick us when we are already down and trying to get back up. All that good work isn't wasted, hang on in there, hope the knee improves soon but in the meantime how about upper body exercises? Maybe a Physio could help. Good luck

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dangerous driving is dangerous driving @Elizabeth__m. What a nasty thing to have happen to you. (((hug)))

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all for your kind words. I have had a really tough few weeks, my three adult sons have had all sorts of problems, I am stressed out at work, trying to cope with diabetes, and then the crash. I was actually on my way to work after attending a diabetic clinic, where the nurse had spoken about all the potential health issues diabetics face and I was totally overwhelmed. When I came off my bike all I could do was lie on the ground and cry - it was the proverbial straw and I had just had enough. It is good to be able to come on here and chat to people who understand x

Chrisle68

Forgot to ask as a biker Is the bike ok
Just remember if you need to scream and shout or just air anything. You have a whole world here going through it as well some at the start others years done the line

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Forgot to ask as a biker Is the bike ok
Just remember if you need to scream and shout or just air anything. You have a whole world here going through it as well some at the start others years done the line

The bike is fine - a broken mirror and a few scrapes, but nothing serious :) It landed on me so I broke its fall! One thing that did make me smile that day - it is actually a retro scooter, all black and chrome, only 125 cc. My partner drove it home while I was taken to the hospital. He normally drives a Harley, and would normally not be seen dead on anything like my wee bike, but there he was, with my girly pink helmet on, driving it up the road. If only I had been well enough to take a picture....

This site is great, obviously I have spoken to family and friends about my diagnosis, but despite it being such a widespread condition it is amazing how little people know about its affects (and I must admit, before I was diagnosed I was one of those people). Most of those I have talked to think it is as simple as cutting out sugar 'oh, are you not allowed chocolate any more then?' is the most common response. At least here I can chat to others who really understand :)

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, when they eventually caught up with him! He stayed until the ambulance arrived but left before the police came. Luckily someone there had recognised him so they were able to give the police his name and address and they went to speak to him later that day.