Items Labelled "Diabetic"

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you (and the rest of us)
Well it is slightly selfish as I really want them to start selling Oppo again..
I must admit I have had 2 calls from customer service as well as e-mails but unfortunately no luck. I am monitoring how much of the ****** stuff they are selling.. (none so far from what I can see) so I can try and get the Oppo back again.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it is slightly selfish as I really want them to start selling Oppo again..
I must admit I have had 2 calls from customer service as well as e-mails but unfortunately no luck. I am monitoring how much of the ****** stuff they are selling.. (none so far from what I can see) so I can try and get the Oppo back again.
Nothing wrong with that. Good luck. Hope you get a result.

M

mist

Most things labeld as diabetic friendly or simply "diabetic" are usually direct from satans butthole and best avoided!

They are usually far more expensive too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing the weekly shop this morning and trawling through the aisles I came across "diabetic" jams and spreads upon inspecting them closer I found they actually contain a hell of a lot of the things we're told to avoid or minimise... even having it at its RDA would of been ridiculous. Has anyone else found this peculiar?
When I read something like this I am always reminded of the egg salesman who said that when he puts FREE RANGE on the box he sells a lot more eggs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another issue I have with "Diabetic Food" is that there is no clear consensus as to what that is. This site does not always agree with itself and none of us agree with the Eatwell Plate so I shudder to think what the cook making diabetic food regards as diabetic friendly.

We had a poster (or three) on here touting for information about how many of us would buy diabetic food from a market stall. I told him that none of us would buy it from Harrods so his chances were slim.

On the day I was diagnosed with Type 2 my GP told me to avoid diabetic products like the plague. Basically she said "If you must eat chocolate or have jam etc on your toast then eat the normal stuff but in extreme moderation. It will do far less harm."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I check out some items recently. One diabetic jam was 89g of carbs. These products are advertised as "for diabetics '. This is complete nonsense.

I wonder if there is anything we might do such as complaining to the ASA or the FSA.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
I think there is a clue in the word JAM. It does not seem to trip off the tongue so well when paired with 'sugar free'. Same thing goes for Maple Syrup. There is also a stigma attached to the term 'spread' which seems to imply mucked about with. At least Procssed Cheese is honest.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there is a clue in the word JAM. It does not seem to trip off the tongue so well when paired with 'sugar free'. Same thing goes for Maple Syrup. There is also a stigma attached to the term 'spread' which seems to imply mucked about with. At least Procssed Cheese is honest.
Quite possibly. Ah yes, brought to you by the plastic cheese people.

Reactions: Karenchq

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite possibly. Ah yes, brought to you by the plastic cheese people.
And the plastic buttery spreads people. Who would have thought that plastic cows udders prancing about on the tv screen would have been so successful at selling such c**p.

Reactions: Karenchq

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And the plastic buttery spreads people. Who would have thought that plastic cows udders prancing about on the tv screen would have been so successful at selling such c**p.
Yep. We've got the condition, health care professionals and the 'food' against us.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the day I was diagnosed with Type 2 my GP told me to avoid diabetic products like the plague. Basically she said "If you must eat chocolate or have jam etc on your toast then eat the normal stuff but in extreme moderation. It will do far less harm."
And that included the toast too I hope? :D

Robbity

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
Doing the weekly shop this morning and trawling through the aisles I came across "diabetic" jams and spreads upon inspecting them closer I found they actually contain a hell of a lot of the things we're told to avoid or minimise... even having it at its RDA would of been ridiculous. Has anyone else found this peculiar?
Yes - it is very odd that they think we will not look at the ingredients. I certainly do look very closely on anything that i purchase that is produced by a company. It is difficult to do it but i have found that it makes a huge difference to the good management of my diabetes.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you noticed how many brands of sausages there are and the carbs content varies from less than 1 % to over 25 % you can spend ages peering at the back of the packs and then when you find a good meaty one the store stops selling it !!!!This has happened to me twice with the black farmer brand
CAROL

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I once saw some Diabetic socks for sale in Aldi and was unsure whether to eat them or wear them!
I kid you not.

Tony

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I once saw some Diabetic socks for sale
They are actually useful for the diabetic foot in case of neuropathy to avoid irritations. They are made without stitches and the tissue used isn't rough internally.

Reactions: Struma

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi
I once saw some Diabetic socks for sale in Aldi and was unsure whether to eat them or wear them!
I kid you not.

Tony
I'd sway towards eating them... a dollop of mayonnaise?