It's all me.

Wilma's mum

Hi, I'm not new to Diabetes type 2, I was diagnosed shortly after my father died and I had had major surgery, back in 2005. 16 years later, here I am, asking questions because I have not looked after myself at all. I very recently spent 5 days in hospital, initially I went to A&E because of an infected abscess on my leg. They kept me in, with blood sugar levels of 27.7! I told them that this is pretty normal for me, and it was. I have ignored, denied and resisted Diabetes all these years. I have taken medication prescribed to me from the start, in March, I started injecting insulin. It got to the point where I was so used to feeling 'unwell' that I didn't recognise it. I am very hit and miss with my meds, I lie to the medical professionals, and I know they know it. In truth, they kinda gave me the green light to abuse myself, I got the occasional lecture, but never any follow up's, advice or support. I preferred it that way. The hospital stay, the fact they would not let me out until my bloods were under some sort of control really pushed me to acknowledge my stupidity. I have seen a Diabetic Nurse, just listening to her I learned so much, I am now on different meds, fast acting insulin before meals, a longer acting one before bed. I have been cooking healthier meals and the improvement is slight but noticable to me, no continuous thirst, sleeping better etc. Guy's and Gal's I am not looking for the holy grail, I know I am at this stage because of myself. I am concerned that I will slip back, get complacent, disorganised and let everything good slide. Is it possible, all these years down the line to do the right thing and improve your life??? I want to, but is it too late?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm not new to Diabetes type 2, I was diagnosed shortly after my father died and I had had major surgery, back in 2005. 16 years later, here I am, asking questions because I have not looked after myself at all. I very recently spent 5 days in hospital, initially I went to A&E because of an infected abscess on my leg. They kept me in, with blood sugar levels of 27.7! I told them that this is pretty normal for me, and it was. I have ignored, denied and resisted Diabetes all these years. I have taken medication prescribed to me from the start, in March, I started injecting insulin. It got to the point where I was so used to feeling 'unwell' that I didn't recognise it. I am very hit and miss with my meds, I lie to the medical professionals, and I know they know it. In truth, they kinda gave me the green light to abuse myself, I got the occasional lecture, but never any follow up's, advice or support. I preferred it that way. The hospital stay, the fact they would not let me out until my bloods were under some sort of control really pushed me to acknowledge my stupidity. I have seen a Diabetic Nurse, just listening to her I learned so much, I am now on different meds, fast acting insulin before meals, a longer acting one before bed. I have been cooking healthier meals and the improvement is slight but noticable to me, no continuous thirst, sleeping better etc. Guy's and Gal's I am not looking for the holy grail, I know I am at this stage because of myself. I am concerned that I will slip back, get complacent, disorganised and let everything good slide. Is it possible, all these years down the line to do the right thing and improve your life??? I want to, but is it too late?

Hi Wilma's mum and welcome! I say no, it's never too late to improve your life/health. I see you are just 50 so you have a good 30 years or more ahead of you, far longer than the 16 years since your diagnosis. There is plenty you can do and it sounds like you are determined to do it, you now have the equipment to test yourself and to see how your methods are working for you. It sounds daunting but honestly, if you stick at it you will reap the rewards. Of course people may have other issues too, things crop up including life stuff and that can all have an impact but no matter what the situation, being aware of it and tackling it as best you can will improve your life in a way that doing nothing won't. Stop blaming yourself for what has gone before, we are humans and none of us are perfect. I reckon once you see the gradually improving results of your efforts you will be far less likely to slide.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Wilma's mum it definitely isn't too late to improve your life. I had undiagnosed diabetes for years and years (probably 20 years) and by the time I was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with diabetes in 2012 I was really ill.

As my Hb1ac was 125 I went straight onto insulin but it wasn't until 2016/17 (with worsening neuropathy and problems with eyesight) that I found this site and realised that by lowering my carbs I could stop the progressive and relentless worsening of my health.

There is so much information on this site and many knowledgeable forum members who will answer any of your questions.

My health issues are no more. I have found a way of eating that I enjoy and keeps me healthy and consider myself so lucky to have found this site.

Sometimes I get a bit down and wish I had started low carb sooner - but then the saying 'better late than never' pops into my head. How true that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You're still breathing, right? Then I'd say, it's not too late. Since you're on insulin you'd have to be very confident in adjusting your doses to carb counting and such, and test a whole lot, but... You could try going low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some with that, while you wait for Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code or a book of one of his many low-carb-touting colleagues comes in. ;) Seriously though... If you cut carbs, you cut down on your insulin requirements, so if you do go that route, with the aim of lowering your intake and hopefully, one day, going without with blood sugars remaining at normal levels... Then yeah... I can wholly see this happening. Just be careful of hypo's.

Nope. Not too late. Not at all.
Jo