SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, A very quick question:
My Libre2 dropped off this morning as I got out of bed. Not much of a problem as it was due to end at 5pm today. I've become rather dependent on it and don't fancy the idea of just pricking til then.
I'd already attached a new sensor to my other arm so my question is:
Is it OK to scan the new sensor and get it started before 5pm or do I have to wait?
Thanks

Lakeslover

I would start the new one. I try and insert my new one 48 hours before the old one finishes but if the old one fails early I just insert a new one and activate it straight away. I don’t find the readings unstable, but of course you might be different.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can start the new sensor straight away.
BUT ... I always need time for my sensors to bed in. If I started my sensor as soon as I inserted them, I would not be able to rely on any numbers or the first 24 hours so would be finger pricking anyway. I prefer to wait the 24 hours when a sensors falls off.
On the other had, if my next sensor was due to start today, I would have one ready and willing.

But the short answer is you do not have to wait until the last sensor was supposed to run out before starting a new one.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You can start the new sensor straight away.
BUT ... I always need time for my sensors to bed in. If I started my sensor as soon as I inserted them, I would not be able to rely on any numbers or the first 24 hours so would be finger pricking anyway. I prefer to wait the 24 hours when a sensors falls off.
On the other had, if my next sensor was due to start today, I would have one ready and willing.

But the short answer is you do not have to wait until the last sensor was supposed to run out before starting a new one.
Thanks @In Response , it's been bedding in since last night and I usually leave it for 24hrs, think I might just wait til 5pm

Reactions: In Response