Its my birthday on monday and were going out for a meal, help!

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its my birthday on monday and were going to franky and bennys for a meal. Its all Italian/American food. Pasta, steaks, Pizzas etc...
What kind of things can i actually eat? I am also trying to lose weight and doing well so dont want to ruin what i have done so far.
I was considering steak and chips? All the pasta meals seem to be covered in creamy cheesy sauces!!
I also wanted a drink, possibly a cocktail, but would that be full of sugar? I am so confused i was only diagnosed just over a week ago.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
best bet if you can do it would be to stick to a starter of maybe garlic mushrooms , or pate ( skip the toast) then a steak and salad with a gin and slimline tonic , or a rum and diet coke , maybe a red wine
cocktails are usually pretty full on in the sugar dept -- as all the mixers and liqueurs have sugar in them

if you have good discipline have the chips with the steak but only eat a very few

all the best !!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Steak with mushrooms or asparagus (loaded butter sauce) and a side salad

Go with a glass of red. Honestly, don't fear that too much as it appears as though you've learnt a fair bit already.. No desserts. If temptation gets the better of you, then have a slice (one) of pizza. It won't kill you and it is your day !!

Happy birthday :)

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Snap it would appear :)

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys. I looked at their gluten free menu and it seems theres a few things on there i could have. The steak and salad for the meal. They do a pieces of fruit with dark choc dip dessert, do you think that would be okay for a one off?

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If its really a one-off, of course its OK. You're new to this, so I hesitate to encourage you to fall off the wagon at an early stage, but my philosophy is that having what you really fancy once a year isn't going to do too much damage, and it will be something to look forward to, and something to remember, and that will make being disciplined the rest of the time so much easier. A little (very occasionally) of what you fancy does you good!

Reactions: 5 people

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After all this we have decided not to go lol The menu is just insanely bad for me!

Dusk71

Oh no! That's a shame. I was thinking a naked burger (no bun) with the salad etc and then the fruit dip u mentioned. Shame not to celebrate X

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not going is the worst thing you can do - never let diabetes rule you - you rule it! It's your special day and you must enjoy yourself it's the law!

I looked at the menu and this is what I would choose the prawn cocktail starter, a steak with a side salad -.ask if you can replace the fries with the salad if not and you have to pay extra still ask for the fries to be left off then your not tempted. Add a sauce they do a garlic one which should be fine as this is usually butter and not flour based. I also love Caesar salad and it's my go to meal without croutons

I didn't look at the deserts as I don't eat them so forgot to look - but they might do a nice cheeseboard or very rarely if the cheesecake is a lemon or citrus one I will treat myself to that without eating the base. If you fancy a cocktail try the mhoito without the caster sugar or a sour margarita - which is basically a margarita without the sugar syrup.

Have a lovely time - remember celebrations aren't just about what you eat and drink but about the company, marking the day and making memories xxxx

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sean01

Its my birthday on monday and were going to franky and bennys for a meal. Its all Italian/American food. Pasta, steaks, Pizzas etc...
What kind of things can i actually eat? I am also trying to lose weight and doing well so dont want to ruin what i have done so far.
I was considering steak and chips? All the pasta meals seem to be covered in creamy cheesy sauces!!
I also wanted a drink, possibly a cocktail, but would that be full of sugar? I am so confused i was only diagnosed just over a week ago.
This is going to sound tough -but it's YOUR birthday. Eat the steak (low GI, no carbs) No to chips and no to the cocktail. There is no confusion. As a diabetic (you don't say type 1 or 2 but I'm guessing type 20 there are certain foods that will potentially lead to any number of over 100 medical complications. I was diagnosed in October. It took minutes to decide to fight it. I'm winning. Your birthday. (Don't get me wrong, I loved pizza, pasta etc etc - how do you think I became diabetic in the first place. You can eat and exercise your way out - no confusion. This is not a life sentence unless you make it one.

Just read all the other posts - It seems I might be a diabetes fundamentalist!!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat out, and enjoy, almost anywhere.
Almost.

as a carnivorous T2, no meds:
My fallback options are steak and salad (I can usually get away with half a portion of the chips, depending on the portion)
or salad or some description
or a brunch/breakfast option
or a mixed grill/roast chicken
prawn cocktail seems back in vogue, which is a good thing, except for the bread
pate, likewise

The only places where there is NOTHING suitable are silly cake/coffee/tearooms, and Chinese food - but even the Chinese have ribs and stir fries, you just need to watch the gloopy shiny sauces.

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were going to eat at home instead. Wife is making me a cake with canderel and other healthy things. We were actually thinking of chinese take out. I was going to go with chicken foo young as its mostly egg. I just did my 10,000 steps on my wii fit in preparation!

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sean01

Oh and yes I am type 2. No medication yet.
Type 2 no meds yet - that's good news. Is it because that bit has not been decided or because the diabetes is mild (I'mm not a doctor so no terminology) and the plan is to manage it through diet and exercise. If you don't need meds, you can deal with this. You need to be strict. Read up on diet on this site. It won't hurt to read up on the medical complications too. That was the first thing I did and it scarred the **** out of me - this is why I came out fighting. You need to control it and not let it control you. Choosing where you eat and what you eat is not a sign of weakness/loosing control. It's a sign of dominating the problem and dealing with it. Good luck.

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 no meds yet - that's good news. Is it because that bit has not been decided or because the diabetes is mild (I'mm not a doctor so no terminology) and the plan is to manage it through diet and exercise. If you don't need meds, you can deal with this. You need to be strict. Read up on diet on this site. It won't hurt to read up on the medical complications too. That was the first thing I did and it scarred the **** out of me - this is why I came out fighting. You need to control it and not let it control you. Choosing where you eat and what you eat is not a sign of weakness/loosing control. It's a sign of dominating the problem and dealing with it. Good luck.

Yes I was only diagnosed a few weeks ago. I am seeing the nurse on the 4th so she can talk to me about it. All i know is i was a level came back from my blood tests at 48? I think it must be mild diabetes because i have been told i wont need medication as yet and need to control my diet and lose weight. Luckily i had already started losing weight at beginning of january when i brought a fitbug orb (like a fitbit) which is motivating me to do steps every day and its working, ive lost 8Ibs since i started. I am looking to loose at least 3 stone.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You're on a good path that others would envy .... so go out for that meal, enjoy it and then get to work :)

@Sean01 gave some good comments and so have others. Take it from those who've been there done that.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GO FOR THE MEAL! It's your birthday for heaven's sake! You can't go the rest of your life not going out - you will crash and burn. As the other's have said stick to meat, fish, veg or salad - avoid potatoes, pasta, rice and bread.

You can drink red wine, or gin, vodka, whisky with diet mixers.

Then go home and enjoy the yummy cake your wife is making! :)

Reactions: 5 people

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I was only diagnosed a few weeks ago. I am seeing the nurse on the 4th so she can talk to me about it. All i know is i was a level came back from my blood tests at 48? I think it must be mild diabetes because i have been told i wont need medication as yet and need to control my diet and lose weight. Luckily i had already started losing weight at beginning of january when i brought a fitbug orb (like a fitbit) which is motivating me to do steps every day and its working, ive lost 8Ibs since i started. I am looking to loose at least 3 stone.

I wouldn't go to Desmond if I were you, they don't know what they are talking about, much better you read what the experts say on here.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday :singing: the wife got me a Fitbit zip for my reasent birthday.. It's brillant to see your activity in graphics and she logs my food in it as well ... Whatever you do for your birthday ... Have a good one :)