ITV junk food experiment

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone watched this. Just catching up on the 27th Feb with Michael Mosley. I’m halfway through and not a mention of carbs yet. Very disappointing and one of the “guinea pigs” has two parents with T2

Edited to add first (brief) mention of carbs was 43mins in.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just finished watching and literally only one mention of carbs. So disappointing. I never ate junk food but still got T2 which although I followed a healthy plant based diet, it was heavier in low GI carbs.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I’m halfway through and not a mention of carbs yet.

Just been reading about it at https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week9/junk-food-experiment. I'm not sure if carbs is what the program is about, just junk food in general. Carbs are obviously part of the equation but I probably need to see the programs. I think fats and sugars are much easier to target and easier for the general population to understand, this is TV after all and dummed down to make for easy consumption. As much as us carb avoiders avoid carbs, there's going to be a lot who can't go without them and have no ill effects. My wife is a classic example, can't have a meal without carbs, she has perfect cholesterol levels, HDL/LDL/Trigs and excellent BG levels. I wonder if it's genetic?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been reading about it at https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week9/junk-food-experiment. I'm not sure if carbs is what the program is about, just junk food in general. Carbs are obviously part of the equation but I probably need to see the programs. I think fats and sugars are much easier to target and easier for the general population to understand, this is TV after all and dummed down to make for easy consumption. As much as us carb avoiders avoid carbs, there's going to be a lot who can't go without them and have no ill effects. My wife is a classic example, can't have a meal without carbs, she has perfect cholesterol levels, HDL/LDL/Trigs and excellent BG levels. I wonder if it's genetic?

No it wasn’t about carbs it is just the fact everything was calories and fat but no mention at all of carbs. A perfect time to educate was lost. I think I’m a bit sensitive in the fact I followed a Wholefoods plant based diet and am
Slim yet succumbed to T2. One of the participants had T2 in the family so it would have been a great opportunity to at least mention carbs.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
One of the participants had T2 in the family so it would have been a great opportunity to at least mention carbs.

It could have been but I get the impression that they don't want to rock any boats. It's much easier for them to talk rubbish which is accepted, than anything else, even if we know better, our voice doesn't count.

Reactions: Flora123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is, in my view, most of these programmes are for those, settling into their sofas on a workday evening, to pass some time before whatever takes their fancy for drama at 9pm. Their audience is there to be entertained, as much as anything.

It is a shame, but how, in an hour, do you get these big messages across, when for most folks, post diagnosis, there is a period of denial, then a requirement for a suspension of belief (about wholemeal, calories and particularly fats), before any form of embracing occurs.

(Full disclosure, I haven't been able to cath up with the programme yet, so my response in clearly a generalisation, based on apparently similar programmes in the past.)