Jamesy Boy's Newcastle Diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jamesy_Boy , First of all, don't dwell on the slight hitch in your plan. Put that down to experience and move on. If you feel it won't cause another slip up, can you use the experience to consider just what it was that made you want to order a takeaway? Was the hunger physical, or were you feeling stressed or bogged down? If you can work that out it could prevent further similar incidents if you plan how you would react in future.

One of the reasons I chose the total food replacement method was to remove the temptation to eat real food for the duration of the calorie restricted phase of ND. An all or nothing sort of approach, I treated the meal replacements as a sort of 'medicine' that was needed rather than food at the time. Though I do think including real food is probably best for most people, it brings in the temptation to eat more than recommended.

In addition to testing blood glucose levels, it could help to test ketone levels. If by calorie restriction you can maintain ketosis you may find that appetite is suppressed.

Reactions: ziggy_w and ringi

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
God knows where this hunger came from pipp, ah well whats done is done and its not put me off completing. Untill yesterday id lost 7kg which is almost half of my planned weight loss just after 2 weeks. So get focussed again and carry on. Thanks guys

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can i ask pipp how do you check ketone levels and what parameters am i looking for? Or is it a personal scale as aposed to a generic one. Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can purchase ketostix from pharmacies. They are for testing urine, and have a colour chart to compare colour of the stick when dipped in urine. I didn't buy any as I was being checked twice a week by pharmacy and nurse at GP surgery. I do always recommend medical support during Newcastle diet.
I did remain in ketosis throughout, which meant I really did not feel hungry at all after the first two days.

This article can explain better than I can......

http://www.livestrong.com/article/426656-very-low-calorie-diets-ketosis/

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even if you just do the newcastle diet for 5 days a week and eat low carb for the other 2 days, it will work, but it will take logger to get the complete benefit. Therefore a few slip ups that result in error is not the end of the world.

Well done on not eating the bread that come with the meat and salad:happy:

Reactions: ziggy_w

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol sorry must of been tired yesterday, thought you said 'meat salad' as in the kebab. Haha my apologies.

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp My blood glucose meter does tell me if there is keytones but i thought this was a bad thing? If my blood mmol goes over 15 it shows up keytone on my meter (rx nexus)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect your meter does not measure keytones and is just warning you there is a risk of diabetic ketoacidosis when your BG is over 15 so telling you to test for keytones being very high and if so, get a lift to A&E (calling 999 may not get a quick enough response.)

We have two different concepts that are as different as a little rain compared to 2 feet of rain in one hour, they get mixed up as the sound like each other.

In diabetic ketoacidosis your body has so little insulin that it eats it self up, the process stops the little remaining insulin from working,so goes into a runaway state. (A bit like feedback on a PA system.) When diabetic ketoacidosis is going on the body is breaking down its own fat and proteins at a very fast rate and hence producing a lot of keytones. Diabetic ketoacidosis will kill you within a day without expert intensive care, even with the best hospital care it still kills about 5% of cases.

A low level of keytones shows you that your body is "burning fat" maybe your own, maybe fat you have eaten. Hence having a low level of keytones proves that our carb intake is low enough to get Type2 under control. Detecting a low level of keytones can be hard, hence you can be burning fat even when you can't get a possible result.

Jamesy_Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry not to worry anyone there im not saying my meter has ever shown this i just know it has this function. Thankyou for the info guys.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a newly diagnosed diabetic this is really amazing stuff Jamesy_Boy! It's really awesome to see someone trying this at home, and thank you so much for posting your recipes!

I suspect I'll give this a go at some point soon, and to be honest all I can imagine is that big pile of 250g veg a day which is a bit offputting - so seeing what you've done with it is really helpful. Any other recipes you can share with us?

Unbelievable that you're halfway to your target weight already! Keep going!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suspect I'll give this a go at some point soon, and to be honest all I can imagine is that big pile of 250g veg a day which is a bit offputting - so seeing what you've done with it is really helpful. Any other recipes you can share with us?

There is no need for a big pile of veg, you could get the same results by fasting with drinking "brone stock" 3 times a day for up to 14 days, then 7 days of low carb, repeated so as to give at least 8 complete weeks of fasting.

@AlexMagd there are lot of ways of removing the fat from our livers and pancreas and everything people have done that results in losing a lot of fat (reduce body weight to about 85% of what is was at the time we got Type2) seem to result in great benefit provided that most of the weight does not return.

All options about from a "balances" low fat diet seem to work.....

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no need for a big pile of veg, you could get the same results by fasting with drinking "brone stock" 3 times a day for up to 14 days, then 7 days of low carb, repeated so as to give at least 8 complete weeks of fasting.

@AlexMagd there are lot of ways of removing the fat from our livers and pancreas and everything people have done that results in losing a lot of fat (reduce body weight to about 85% of what is was at the time we got Type2) seem to result in great benefit provided that most of the weight does not return.

All options about from a "balances" low fat diet seem to work.....

Thanks - I guess it's horses for courses. For me, if I attempt ND I would want to mirror the original methodology as closely as possible; from what I've read it seems like even Prof Taylor isn't 100% sure on why it works. However given I need to lose about 7 stone to be healthy BMI I'm sure there will be multiple rounds of fasting/VLCD to come...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Prof Taylor is 100% sure that it’s about removing the fat from the Liver and Pancreas. He "just" does not know the best way to help people do this outside of a lab setting. The level of weekly support etc he gave people, along with the additional commitment from them having the weekly NMR scans etc is not piratical on a population scale.

The problem is how the NHS can do it given that a GP can’t spend more than about 1hr per year per person…….

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a newly diagnosed diabetic this is really amazing stuff Jamesy_Boy! It's really awesome to see someone trying this at home, and thank you so much for posting your recipes!

Unbelievable that you're halfway to your target weight already! Keep going!

I can tell you from my current experience that 250g of veg is not a big pile, if it was I am sure the Newcastle diet would be easier.
I am only having black coffee at breakfast and soup at lunch time (around 150 calories) and that has allowed me to have some extra veg in my evening meal.