Type 2 Jardiance and driving

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am type 2 - I take metformin & saxoglyptin and now I have been put on empagliflozin (Jardiance ) I believe.
Question is do I need to test sugars when driving - I am not in insulin.
Thank you

Reactions: howmuch

SimplyJason

In short, yes do check. A mere matter of seconds could help prevent what could be a terrible accident and, possible loss of licence. Not to mention your insurance would more than likely be increased. :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Legally, you only need to test BG when on meds that can cause a hypo (not just insulin) so things like glickazide. From what I know none of those 3 cause hypoglycaemia

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I thought it would’ve too but it says on packet don’t drive if it makes you drowsy.
Hope il be ok on them thanks again

Reactions: Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thanks I thought it would’ve too but it says on packet don’t drive if it makes you drowsy.
Hope il be ok on them thanks again

Drowsy if different, paracetamol can make you drowsy. Many drugs can, you can not test for drowsy with a glucose meter

And as the law stands, if you drive feeling drowsy and medication caused it then you can be prosecuted for driving under the influence in the event of an accident

You are only ‘required’ to test bg for drugs that can cause hypoglycaemia however you may choose to test it’s personal preference if/when you test