Jardiance And Low Carbs.

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been prescribed Jardiance and was informed by my diabetes nurse to keep my carbs up, but by what she didn’t say. Any ideas please?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi :)

Have a look at this link. It explains how Jardiance works
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/jardiance.html

Basically, it causes the body to expell excess glucose through the kidneys.
This means that you have to have higher than normal levels of glucose in the bloodstream so that the extra glucose can be removed by the drug.

If you don't eat carbs, then the drug will still remove glucose, but it will leave you with too little glucose and you would risk a hypo.

So basically she was telling you to eat enough carbs that you don't risk hypos.

Do you have a blood glucose meter so that you can test your blood glucose levels, and make sure you are not dropping too low (and that the Jardiance is actually keeping your blood glucose within target levels) ?

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and thank you for your speedy reply.Apologies because I maybe misunderstanding your response. you seem to be suggesting that I need to up my level of glucose so that I have sufficient in my bloodstream for the drug to expel through urine.
This is confusing as I wish to take in as little sugar related foods as possible to enable normal blood sugar level.
I was asking the question because I want to be aware of the level of carbs I need to not trigger ketoacidosis as the blurb surrounding the medication suggests I’d possible.
Sorry if sounding confused I am after all A Wrinkly!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is confusing as I wish to take in as little sugar related foods as possible to enable normal blood sugar level.
I was asking the question because I want to be aware of the level of carbs I need to not trigger ketoacidosis as the blurb surrounding the medication suggests I’d possible.
Has your HbA1c changed recently to cause the nurse to make you change your meds?
Do you know why she has prescribed them for you?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and thank you for your speedy reply.Apologies because I maybe misunderstanding your response. you seem to be suggesting that I need to up my level of glucose so that I have sufficient in my bloodstream for the drug to expel through urine.
Sorry if sounding confused I am after all A Wrinkly!

:D i agree that it is confusing, yet that seems to be exactly what your nurse was suggesting - that you eat carbs to your medication, to prevent hypos.

Like you, my preference is to avoid blood glucose highs by not eating so many carbs that they push up blood glucose.

To my mind it is better to only take meds to reduce excess blood glucose to normal levels, rather than to take meds and then have to eat carbs to prevent the medication from causing hypos...