Jardiance for T1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi,
I have been prescribed with Jardiance. Has any other T1 had experience on it. I could only find a reference here to a trial starting and only one response to someone that was on on it, with no indication of how long they had been on it and if indeed it was the real thing? Nearly everything I have read on the Net says not suitable for T1 (except for a trial and no results).

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Just wondering why exactly you were prescribed it? To reduce total daily insulin doses? To help improve HbA1c? Any other reason?
Don't worry about it not 'being suitable' for type 1s - doctors can prescribe drugs 'off-label' if they feel there's a justifiable reason to do so.
I've done quite a lot of research into it myself (and written a project on it!), although have never actually taken it. Am happy to try to answer questions if you have any?

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I think to get my HbA1c down. I was away for 2 weeks for work. I had some bad insulin as normally 10units with a meal is a LOT of insulin. With the bad lot I took a total of 110units and my meter was still saying Hi (it had never done that before) and then had my HbA1c blood test, but I'm normally around 7.8% which is still to high. I have noticed I have had a reduced number of Hypo's whilst on it.

Reactions: Cumberland

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chowie I have been on them for about 6 months now.

My insulin needs have gone down quite a lot but not sure about HbA1C as dont get it checked until Thursday.

It has made a real difference to me & it has helped with losing some extra weight as well as I am taking a lot less insulin.

Within a few weeks I had gone from over 40 units Lantus per day down to 28 & still think thats a little bit too much.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks. My insulin use has gone through the roof. I normally ride to and from work a total of 40Km a day. I only need 30u of Lantus and about 25 Novo Rapid. I haven't ridden for 9months as I work interstate and live out of hotel rooms. Armed with a new toy the Freestyle Libre I'm driving my BSL a lot tighter and have gone up to 65u of Lantus and yes been putting on weight. Can't wait for life to return to normal and hopefully this will me shed some kilos as well and hopefully drop my insulin way down below my previous requirements.

Reactions: MH2010

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. My insulin use has gone through the roof. I normally ride to and from work a total of 40Km a day. I only need 30u of Lantus and about 25 Novo Rapid. I haven't ridden for 9months as I work interstate and live out of hotel rooms. Armed with a new toy the Freestyle Libre I'm driving my BSL a lot tighter and have gone up to 65u of Lantus and yes been putting on weight. Can't wait for life to return to normal and hopefully this will me shed some kilos as well and hopefully drop my insulin way down below my previous requirements.

I just got home from Diabetic clinic and have been told that as the tablets are not licensed for use by type 1, I have to stop taking them immediately. (That will NOT be happening!)

They have wrote to my GP to stop me getting anymore as well.