Just a warning....

pinkpolo121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
My name is Abi and im 23 years old. Im writing this message as recently a tv program I was on called Extreme Diet Ward: Diabetes special showed that by going on a milkshake diet can reverse your diabetes. since this show has aired i have found out so much that i wanted to share with everyone so that it doesnt happen to anyone else. heres some of the points that the show failed to point out:

You cant reverse your diabetes, you become pre diabetic and should still have tests done regualr
You shouldnt do anything that extreme

I was told that i had got rid of this type 2 diabetes, only 7 weeks go i had a DKA. I had been mis diagonised by my doctor and the TV show and no one noticed. Having almost lost my life, i think people should be warned that the extreme diets can have a good effect for a tiny period of time and i think the tv show could put some people at risk and after my experience i just wanted to say that always consult your doctors and dont always believe the TV programs

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi pink this was a very hot topic at the time the show aired pointing out the exact same things. Crazy what they said!!!. how r u doing now, are you now a diagnosed type 1.

Sent from my GT-S5360

pinkpolo121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Yeap i am now a diagnosed type 1 and should of been all along which is scary to think what i have put myself through.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very scary, not uncommon for people to be diagnosed type 2, only to find out sometime later usually like yourself critically ill that theyre type 1. Myself was back and for to docs for 3 years with all sorts (now realise diabetic symptoms bit doc didn't neither) and eventually seen a new doc to do tests and by the time results back critically ill with dka. all down to funding, reluctance to do certain blood tests, mad.
Glad u got sorted, how have you been managing with injections.

Sent from my GT-S5360

pinkpolo121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i was the same a DKA and a week in hospital had to have emerancy surgery cause i had an infection in my legs as well which was alot worse then first thought :S

struggling with injections but im getting there slowly. already fed up and keep thinking its a bad dream and i will wake up and it wasnt really happening to me.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I struggled with my diagnosis at first thinking "I can't be". Stol have those days now, though not often. It will get easier and eventually be second nature. Carefull and regular monitoring a must. Any questions just ask :)

Sent from my GT-S5360

C burns

I still struggle with injections and sometimes it can take me 10 or 15 minutes to build up the courage to do it! I hav to wonder if that will ever go? Although lyk Bret said its important to be monitoring and I still hav bad days too. Chin up tho, I luv the support and advice on here! There's always sum1 2 chat to x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Martina79

I personally dont believe any product descrobtions nor people who try to sell something. we live in selfish world where money comes first and rule society and there are no rules that would protect consumers.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Abi,
Sorry to hear of your bad time, I tried to watch the show on 4od but it's not available. Do the producers of the show know what has happened to you, I'm surprised that the medical team didn't do more thorough tests before you started. It always annoys me when you see attention grabbing headlines that don't fully explain what's happened.
Hopefully you're getting on well with all the injections and testing. Good Luck
Laura

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. It is a sad but true fact that these programmes are about viewing figures and not people. Well done for posting on hear to correct the misconceptions. I am Type 1 can say that the injecting does get easier. In the begining it feels like an alien thing to do to yourself until habit and repetition make it second nature. You will find this forum has an inexhaustible knowledge back for all your queries and concerns. It really is a community. I wish you all of the best on your journey

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App