Just an idea

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings! I have always felt thankful for this forum and I feel like the best way to repay all this community is by spreading awareness. To get right into the point, I have noticed that this community is growing to become an international one, not limited by the borders of the UK. That being said, language can sometimes be a barrier, so I came up with an idea, not sure how brilliant. Developers of this site can add an option that enables the user to post in any language they feel that they can express the best with it, and then send a notification (by this feature) to members who can translate from said language to English. I happily volunteer to be the first member to do so.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Great idea, @alphabeta ! Is/Are there particular translation app(s) that you had in mind??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No sarcasm at all.
I tend to use Google Translate but worry that it may not be able to translate the idiomatic meanings of some phrases.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No sarcasm at all.
I tend to use Google Translate but worry that it may not be able to translate the idiomatic meanings of some phrases.
Oh.. see I thought it was sarcasm because I am not really sure it is a good idea...
I intend to use my skills. English isn't my mother tongue but I am relatively fluent speaking it

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am totally onboard! I am American and it would be great if someone would translate my perfect English to whatever "you lot" speak.:)

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am totally onboard! I am American and it would be great if someone would translate my perfect English to whatever "you lot" speak.:)
Haha well my idea was to translate from non-English to English not vice versa

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Gooul Tranns laade does not do Strine.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is really a great idea :) but it will be difficult to moderators to moderate ....

Reactions: alphabeta

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

At DCUK we welcome with open arms members of the diabetic community from everywhere.
This is a UK based site.
We do appreciate that English is not everybody's mother tongue, most members prefer to exersise their understanding of the of this widely used language as part of the understanding when contributing.

There have been mods from nationalities outside the UK in the past.

It just makes it easier all round to share as well as support using a common language in this varied community, as well as similarities with Diabetes.

Hope this helps.