Just Dance!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
My 81yo father inspired us when he told me that, since he watched a program about a centarian who swears dancing as exercise has helped him live to 100, my father himself has started dancing now... at home alone mind you, just listening with headphones on an mp3 player. He dances using small weights to help work his arms and he tries to move his body as much as possible, bending, squatting, twisting.
So I got my husband dancing to daggy 80s music tonight while 2 of the 3 kids slept. (Our cheeky 4.5 yo stayed up and joined us). We ended up reminiscing about old songs from our childhoods and pretended we were meeting in a nightclub for the first time. It was a good laugh and we found ourselves dancing for closer to an hour rather than the 30 mins I was trying to make as a minimum.

The only warning I'll give is start slow and stretch to warm up. My husband hasn't moved like that for a while and his neck was twinging. I also may have overdone it on the belly moves considering I had a c-section only 4 weeks ago. :D

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I think that is great! .. dancing is the best way to get into good physical and mental health.
I suffer from very bad depression and there's nothing like it to help change my mood and when I was able to keep me from seizing up with the old age creeping in .. :stop: IYKWIM !
Long may you continue to do it! :happy:

clare56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my dancing too! If it's the right music I can keep going for ages. At home, I use Spotify to choose my music and just as I think I must sit down, another favourite kicks in, so I keep dancing. I also use YouTube as they have some good zumba and dance videos to move to.
I went to a zumba class in a local gym a while back (great zumba teacher who thinks of the session as a party!) He couldn't get there one week, so some of the group gave up and went home, some went to the gym and the rest of us were able to just dance to some music we found. I'm sure we had the best, most effective time!