Type 2 Just diagnosed, guidance regarding testing method and diet please

Millie_Tant_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I really need some guidance please. I had an HBA1C test at the beginning of February but didn't get confirmation of Type 2 diagnosis until recently. My GP surgery run a telephone conversation appointment system and it's difficult to get to speak to anyone either this way or by appointment, hence the delay in diagnosis. I've now had two HBA1C results, first was 52 mmol/mol and second was 48 mmol/mol so my GP has confirmed that I am Type 2 and I'm now anxiously waiting for a clinic appointment letter.

What I really want to know is do I have to buy some sort of gadget to test my blood, do I test urine with strips like my dad used to? I've read somewhere that people have to purchase their own testing kit but as I'm not sure what to buy wondered if it was best if I leave everything until I attend clinic.

I'm confused by a lot of advice given on the forum anyway because of the use of acronyms, although I think I'm doing ok so far with diet keeping carbs low and cutting out sugar, but even that is sometimes guesswork.

Don't get me wrong, the website is excellent but any advice would be really welcome as I feel at a loss to understand some of the jargon here and elsewhere and fear that I won't get the advice I need even when I go to clinic.:eek:

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A Blood Glucose meter where a tiny amount of blood is taken from a finger prick test will certainly help you work out what foods affect your blood sugar levels. Whether one is supplied to you by a clinic does seem to vary for Type 2s; many opt to buy an SD Codefree meter as this is generally reckoned to be the cheapest to run if one is not supplied to them via the NHS.

There are two issues with urine tests. 1. They only tell you when your blood sugar is above about 9 mmol/l, which is already quite high, and 2. It is a test of what your blood sugar was like when your body produced the urine and stored it in your bladder, not at the point of release, so is not useful if you're looking at what foods to reduce.

OK, there are actually 3 issues. Blood sample tests are way more convenient to do in public.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't get me wrong, the website is excellent but any advice would be really welcome as I feel at a loss to understand some of the jargon here and elsewhere and fear that I won't get the advice I need even when I go to clinic

Easy answer to that ... ask ... you are amongst experts. We all started out not knowing much and nothing is too silly or off base

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Millie_Tant_ sound like you are making good progress all ready - I've was diagnosed in Jan so I know what you say about confusing ... take it easy, read lots, don't get frustrated if it all seems too much - pretty soon the terms will be normal, and you will be on top of it.

There is a link to terms - I'm not sure where but hopefully someone will reply and let you know.

As for testing, to understand how foods affect you many people test. Usually before/2 hours after meals. Once a food is proven to not spike your count you can reduce testing i.e. I don't often need to test breakfast as I know what works for me. Testing doesn't really hurt - you get used to it.

Ask any questions you want - someone here has been there done it. And welcome, please remember you are not alone

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am tagging @daisy1 for you - she can give you some good basic info, I know it sure helped me!