just diagnosed very confused about what i can and cant eat

Blether

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was diagnosed last August and have actually put weight on by following advice that was given by the practice nurse. Blood sugar was 7.1 with long term one fine. Have repeatedly asked to be referred to a dietician without success. Asked them to recommend a monitor for me to buy but they wouldn't do that as they would then need to prescribe the strips. Am getting very down about the whole thing and they have been trying to prescribe me anti depressants. If they would only help me with my diet I would not be so down. I have a major issue with low carb as I am diary and egg intolerant. Breakfast is the real stuggle.. Have done low carb in the past but struggled to get to a decent weight. Would seem to lose about half the weight needed and then didn't lose any more. Keen to cook from scratch but need some inspiration to get a more varied diet. Live on stir fries, soups, salads and meat and veg. Aim it to lose enough to be considered not diabetic. Doctor told me I would need to lose 3 stones and I wouldn't do it, no-one ever does. Glad to have been able to sound off.

Just changed my doctor last week and have my first appointment this week so am hoping that I will they will be more helpful. Don't know anyone who goes there but reckon it can't be any worse.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be disheartened Blether. You have come to the right place.
We are all in the same boat, and everyone here is wonderful.
I'm sure someone here will be able to sort out what foods you can eat
with being egg and dairy intolerant.
Some doctors just don't care, but it's good that you have changed yours.
:)

Reactions: 4 people