Just diagnosed with diabetes

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Can they schedule a phone call? Some GPs do...some including mine don't

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would certainly try. Nothing lost. Be pro-active. These are your results, not theirs.
They tried doing this with me so I went there in person and told them the story and said I was really worried and the anxiety was making me feel ill. The receptionist just said they were borderline and my full blood count was "off" but she couldn't tell me any more...had to wait for the doc but she squeezed me in that day having seen how worried I was. I had tests for other things, not just diabetes, and it was more the other stuff I was worried about.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to see the doc yesterday had 40c fever and really bad back so took an urgent appointment asked there bout a1c he said this appointment is not related to your diabetes you have to book a seperate one bg all over the place right now unfortunately he said it could be a bug

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to see the doc yesterday had 40c fever and really bad back so took an urgent appointment asked there bout a1c he said this appointment is not related to your diabetes you have to book a seperate one bg all over the place right now unfortunately he said it could be a bug
Well, that seems unhelpful. To be honest, your GP seems more obstructive than helpful, is there another one in your local area? In the UK, you can search for one on NHS Choices and you can even see reviews. I've had to change recently (like yesterday actually) because mine is closing next week, but I've luckily managed to find one through NHS Choices. When I went in yesterday the staff were really helpful, even though their overall accessibility (open hours for example) doesn't seem as good as my old doc, they seem to be doing their best to squeeze in those with urgent issues. I do feel for them, they can only do so much, but even so, it would have taken 2 minutes to give you your results...doesn't seem effective to offer you a 10 minute slot to discuss that another time, does it?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A1c is 138. It's very bad I know feeling really depressed about it. I have not gone more than 6 in last almost one month I think. I just came back to UK so will start my low carb diet. I did have a lot of carb while travelling but I had no option and never went above 6 even with slice of cake and ice cream once each in 15 days and pizzas and pastas almost everyday

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't let your HbA1c result get you down. You can turn that round before the next one. Also remember you were ill beforehand with a high temperature, which may have had some relevance.

As for your "never went above 6" even with a slice of cake etc. at what times are you testing? Under 6 the whole time for almost a month, especially as you admit you had a lot of carbs whilst away., is probably unrealistic and you may have been missing your peaks. Were you testing before eating, then again after 2 hours (and also 1 hour after certain foods) plus fasting and bedtimes? I wish I could say I never went above 6!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before meal is usually between 4.5 to 5.2 and 2 hours after meal goes to about 5.7ish then fasting almost always comes down by. 5 this is something I see as a norm. The day I had ice cream it went to 6 which was my highest

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's really got me down is the doc said you are on medicines now and slowly and gradually you will have to be put on insulin as it get worse as your diabetes get older too. I am scared to death listening to that. I am taking my medicines on time and having low carbs to keep everything under control. She has asked me to go to Desmond course and also see optician for eye. She also gave me some med for cholesterol as it was slightly higher and asked me to get a blood and urine test done in a month. So I have one more med added to metmorfin

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
At least you have an idea what's going on now and why you've felt so rough. I advise you to do as much research as you can so you can form your own opinion when you're given advice from the professionals who should know their stuff (but don't seem to). Some health care professionals will be very good, but some of us here get the bad ones LOL. Me? MY GP is **** (just changed) but the dietician was really good.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was referred to Desmond course but since my a1c was so high a nurse called me to talk and do further diagnosis if I was by anychance type 1 or lada. She did my keytones test it was 0.1 which is normal she said she checked all my blood report. Everything is normal except cholesterol which is slightly on a higher side. She said that she confirmed that I don't have type 1 but she's referred me for a blood test for lada but she said she's sure it's not that. She was amazed at seeing how much recovery I had made in terms of my glucose levels and also will give me a a1c test letter to get one more done in few months as she wants to check the progress. BP was normal she did it 3 times but she did say if you are between 4 and 6 you have a little scope of eating what you want try to eat that and test. Well loads of questions asked and answered but all in all I think she was nice. She did one test there and it came at 6.5 but I had eaten a sandwich just 30 mins before. I came back and tested I was 4.6

Reactions: 3 people