Just diagnosed with Prediabetes

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 is a great morning reading and if that is normal for you then it would appear that your fasting levels are not prediabetic. So the next thing to look at is pre and most meal levels. What has led you to be diagnosed prediabetic? Was it a HBA1C test?

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alison Campbell I had my yearly blood test for my Epilepsy and I was tested for diabetes the HBA1C test which was 47. I did a post meal blood test tonight and it was 8.6 which I think might be a bit high for a Prediabetic.
One of the problems with the treatment for Epilepsy is that my tablets do cause other problems I have to take a statin everyday because they caused my Cholesterol to be high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the problems with the treatment for Epilepsy is that my tablets do cause other problems I have to take a statin everyday because they caused my Cholesterol to be high.

It is likely your statins won't be helping your blood sugar levels. Raising BS levels is a known side effect.

Was that 8.6 taken 2 hours after eating, what were you before you ate, and what did you eat? Without that information I am reluctant to say whether it was good or bad.

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is likely your statins won't be helping your blood sugar levels. Raising BS levels is a known side effect.

Was that 8.6 taken 2 hours after eating, what were you before you ate, and what did you eat? Without that information I am reluctant to say whether it was good or bad.

The 8.6 was taken 2 hours after eating my dinner. I had only done the one test at midday when I was 5.3 and I only had coffee, black no sugar. For dinner I had a small amount of Chilli, less than a quarter of Nan bread and vegetables, cabbage and sweetcorn I am cutting carbs but not completely at once....I am reducing them a lot

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 8.6 was taken 2 hours after eating my dinner. I had only done the one test at midday when I was 5.3 and I only had coffee, black no sugar. For dinner I had a small amount of Chilli, less than a quarter of Nan bread and vegetables, cabbage and sweetcorn I am cutting carbs but not completely at once....I am reducing them a lot

It all depends what you were immediately before you ate - you really need to test before as well as after. However, it is higher than desirable and I put that down to the sweetcorn and the bread. Did you add a sauce, or gravy of some sort? That may not have helped depending on what it was. If you write your meal contents down in a diary and add your level this will help if you repeat the meal without the sweetcorn and bread but add a different low carb vegetable such as cauliflower or broccoli.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There is no Spoon
The diet that I am looking at is the Ketogenic one I can reduce/avoid the ones that are on the bad list. I am eating more vegetables which is something that I enjoy but I realise that I cannot just completely change overnight. This appears to be a good low carb one. My one problem is that I only eat breakfast when I am on holiday and as I do not drink milk I am unable to think of anything to have. My husband may be being rash but he bought a blood monitor test kit and I did it this morning and it was 5.3 but I had not eaten only my usual black coffee, no sugar etc because I do not have a sweet tooth.
I do not eat that much meat I like fish. I know that it is going to be hard with potatoes and pasta but I will have to

I find roasted celeriac is a great substitute fir potatoes. I can only tolerate a small amount but I don’t feel I’m missing out. My husband is now a fan too and commented that it’s nicer each time

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both there was hardly any gravy just enough to make it a bit wet. Normally it would be broccoli with carrots or parsnips so I am trying to find other vegetables apart from the ones that are roasted, courgette, aubergine, peppers and squash.
With Celeriac I really like it but unfortunately my stomach doesn't.
I have started a food diary so that I am able to see what foods do affect me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both there was hardly any gravy just enough to make it a bit wet. Normally it would be broccoli with carrots or parsnips so I am trying to find other vegetables apart from the ones that are roasted, courgette, aubergine, peppers and squash.
With Celeriac I really like it but unfortunately my stomach doesn't.
I have started a food diary so that I am able to see what foods do affect me.

The food diary will help you, and if you keep using your meter to test out your food choices you will soon find a diet that is suitable and sustainable for you personally. As a little tip, I use butter (a lot ... probably too much!) on my veg to make it "wet" and find it makes them far more tasty than gravy does.