Just finished morning fast

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
and now hubby is making me a cooked breakfast :mrgreen:

After my night fasts it always seemed obvious where and when to adjust but I'm not so sure on this one. Hoping some of you can view my results and see what you suggest:

8am 8.7
9am 8.5
10am 9.3
11am 8.5
12am 7.7
1pm 6.4

My current basal is set at 1u from 7am to 1pm and then drops to 0.7 as I had been going low in the afternoons.

I can see I need to reduce from 11am and was thinking of dropping down to 0.8?

jopar

What are you're 5am, 6am and 7am like?

looking at what you've got there, you might be better dependant on what your earlier results are, keeping the 1 unit stepping up so that you lower the 9.4mmol/l mid morning, and you maybe might have to increase by a 0.1 unit, through out this period..

do you know what your BG's are like at after 1pm, as that one isn't off what you looking for really

But you'll are doing very well indeed overall, it seems that you are starting to get to grips with it all well done

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't done the 5,6 and 7am ones for a while as I can go to bed at 11pm and wake up with pretty much the same reading at 7am now.

At the minute I am aiming to run around 7 as to aim lower would just be too much of a shock for my body. When my basals are right I will tighten up and aim to run nearer 6 :)

The BGs after 1pm have been low - like between 6 and 4. My DSN reduced my carb ratio at lunch time and we dropped the basal from 0.8 to 0.7 but I wanted to see what the morning was like before I changed anything else.

johnny37

With respect Mushy you seemed to have nailed it pretty quickly! I have been pumping for 10 months and have still not got it. Your figures seem pretty good to me and I would stick with them to see how it pans out over the next couple of weeks. The average of the figures you give is 8.1mm which if averaged out over 90 days would give you an HBA1c of 7%.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mushy!!!

Sounds like yo are going in the right direction with the lowering of both basal and bolus towards afternoon.

My Consultant told me yesterday that if my levels are dropping 3-4 hours after my bolus, then it is more than likely that it is my bolus that needs to be lowered in preference to the basals.
The like me to do a fasting of food before my lows though.....I recognised that my levels dropped at 10am to between 4 and 5. Because I always eat the same each morning and at the same time she could tell me to alter my morning bolus. This morning I had dropped my bolus and my levels stayed at a steady 7 all morning....she was spot on.

You may find by altering both bolus and basal at the same time that your levels may go up a bit more than required. I hope not, but my health advisers only like me to alter one thing at a time..wither basal or bolus, so I can see which one is doing the right action....

Sounds like you are doing really well, I am really pleased for you. Best wishes...Sharon

vans

Hiya Mushy
Sounds pretty good to me too - well done!

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is that you will need to adjust your basal a 2-3 hours before your BG is creeping up - in your case, maybe adjust to make 7am-10am 1.25u per hour, then go back to your 1u per hour til 1pm and see how that does?

I had a similar pattern when I did my morning fast and notching up by 0.25u for those 3 hours brought them back into line.