1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just found out pregnant- Folic acid query

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Jkelly88, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Jkelly88

Jkelly88 Type 1 · Member

Hi,
    Just found out last night I’m pregnant, first time! :D Have spoken with diabetes team today and booked in to see obstetrics next week, they are prescribing me the recommended folic acid and I need to pick it up when I finish work, however my partner rushed out last night and bought me Pregnacare Plus which has 400 folic acid in it, am able to take both as the Pregnacare has all the other good supplements in it... :/

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Ellie_Wilko

Ellie_Wilko Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I took both and they said it was fine :)

Congrats x

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robynberrill

Robynberrill Type 1 · Active Member

I found out I was pregnant for the 1st time a week ago and I still haven’t been prescribed folic acid. I do have an appointment next Wednesday with the obstetrics team but should I have been prescribed folic acid straight away??

Congratulations btw!! X

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jkelly88

Jkelly88 Type 1 · Member

Congratulations too! Oh I’m not sure I was just really pushy with the diabetes team and they did it over the phone the same day, I figured the sooner the better. Maybe try speaking to your nurses? Good luck at your appointment, mines Tuesday eeek! X

5. Ellie_Wilko

Ellie_Wilko Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They advise you take it in the months leading up to conception as it's the most crucial in the first 12 weeks. I would say that Wednesday shouldn't be a problem if your still early in the pregnancy xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook