Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'be never been a great veg lover but since being diagnosed I've accepted that sometimes there are things that you need to do or eat for your health that you wouldn't otherwise do.

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I'be never been a great veg lover but since being diagnosed I've accepted that sometimes there are things that you need to do or eat for your health that you wouldn't otherwise do.
Yup - what @Chook said. Needs must, I'm afraid.

I'm no great veg fan either, so I try to find ways to make them palatable. I dry-fry cauli rice with lots of garlic salt & coriander so it doesn't taste like caulifour; I make broccoli & stilton soup with heroic amounts of stilton; I chop spinach really fine and mix with eggs & cheese to make a bread-type thing that tastes nothing like spinach.

Mask the taste with herbs & spices. Alter the texture by chopping, frying and baking. It works for me.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sean01

I don't eat anything from the plant kingdom. Just animals.
Anybody who dis school biology will remember that plants. vegetables etc are living things. At least when we pack the cows off we have the decency to stun them first - but with vegetables, we just hack away. That's horrible

TJ

Hi I don't like greens so got a nutrabullit now I'm juicing all greens but unfortunately I have to much potassium getting blood test Monday so hoping it's not that
I recently got a Nutri Ninja ( same sort of thing ) but I think the tip is to just blend small amounts of anything you put in and make a mental note of how much it would look like on a plate to guide you on portion control which hopefully will keep your levels lower - at the moment I'm logging each "smoothie" on Myfitnesspal to see what the nutritional values are - haven't got round to finding another way

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Though a million miles from being a vegetarian, I am definitely an omnivore...I've hunted out loads of recipes to make veggies taste nice.

Hated cauliflower - now a mainstay is cauli-cheese. Made fresh with farm-shop caulies - even our boys like 'em!

Try roasting veggies - broccoli with some sesame seeds are lovely

Make stock - chicken, beef, lamb, veal, fish - the lot. You pack all that veggie goodness along with the bones that you can then use for a gravy or a sauce that tastes fantastic.

I roast celeriac in beef dripping for superb chips. A little garlic mayo and no-one will talk to you the following day :)

Used to hate turnips - have discovered that diced and added to a beef stew they taste fabulous. They take up the flavour of the stew - which has been cooked long and slow, has home made stock, some rather nice ale help, too!

Veggies are our friend - they help fill you up and provide loads of micro-nutrients for the body, never mind that wonderful added extra - fibre - and you can make them taste gorgeous... Just a little time and all of a sudden you'll be eating cheese covered broccoli, creamed leeks, braised red cabbage, carrots cooked in white wine and rosemary, pan fried aubergine, onion bhajis.... All home made and better than any ready meal you can find....

I shall stop ranting about food now....

Reactions: 4 people

goose64

my daughter hated her veg but has found that by putting cheese sauce on cauli she actually likes it. you could try putting cheese over veg & pop i under the grill. ot you could train yourself to like it, just ear one mouthful of something every day & you will become used to it ( can't remember how many times you have to do it hough)

Lornylou5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Though a million miles from being a vegetarian, I am definitely an omnivore...I've hunted out loads of recipes to make veggies taste nice.

Hated cauliflower - now a mainstay is cauli-cheese. Made fresh with farm-shop caulies - even our boys like 'em!

Try roasting veggies - broccoli with some sesame seeds are lovely

Make stock - chicken, beef, lamb, veal, fish - the lot. You pack all that veggie goodness along with the bones that you can then use for a gravy or a sauce that tastes fantastic.

I roast celeriac in beef dripping for superb chips. A little garlic mayo and no-one will talk to you the following day :)

Used to hate turnips - have discovered that diced and added to a beef stew they taste fabulous. They take up the flavour of the stew - which has been cooked long and slow, has home made stock, some rather nice ale help, too!

Veggies are our friend - they help fill you up and provide loads of micro-nutrients for the body, never mind that wonderful added extra - fibre - and you can make them taste gorgeous... Just a little time and all of a sudden you'll be eating cheese covered broccoli, creamed leeks, braised red cabbage, carrots cooked in white wine and rosemary, pan fried aubergine, onion bhajis.... All home made and better than any ready meal you can find....

I shall stop ranting about food now....

Lornylou5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love most veg so don't mind at all.
I used to liquidise spinach and add it to soup I made for my son. You can liquidise most veg and add them.
It's trial and error.

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think this is perfectly possible.Although I am not sure it's a good idea.I used to joke with people who mentioned the fact that they never really saw me eating vegetables that "I do eat veggies, I eat chips!" Lots has changed since then.
However now that I am successfully low carbing I eat lots of vegetables and especially salad.The whole low carb idea has worked well for me.But let's be honest a lot of things are off limits when watching carbs.By actively choosing to not have vegetables you are restricting your options quite a bit more.And vegetables are important sources of minerals and vitamins,which may be required as other foods are not appropriate any more.

Some ideas.

I have lots of veggies fried in butter, say asparagus,green beans,fennel.Spices are key here!!
How about tuna and veg bake with melted cheese on top.
There is a great recipe here for cabbage with cream.
Home made vinaigrette ( so easy honestly ) or good Mayo and salad cream (LOTS) over a mixed salad is epic.

There are many great recipes on this forum,and the thread on "what have you eaten today" always makes me smile at how inventive people are usually followed by mmmm.........I must try that!

Why not try vegetables you have never eaten. You may surprise yourself I did and can't imagine going without raw mushrooms for long.
Sorry this is not supposed to be a lecture.Hope it does not come across as such.Trying to be constructive.

Cheers
Hi,
Sounds yummy but not very good fat wise!!! Lots of butter, cream and sauce is not really going to make up for eating the veg included within. I too am a bit loathe to eating veg but the stir-fry idea is a good one. I can eat veg best, all chopped up together, in a little light olive oil. I eat bowls of mixed fruit though. I am hoping that this makes up for my lack of veg. My uncle never ate a veg in his life!!

welsh polly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
PhillHill said:
can i have a diabetic type 2 healthy diet minus vegetable as i hate them havent found one i could eat more than one piece of before spitting it out in disgust btw im 48 and have no appetite for anything except cereal and semi skimmed milk, bits of fruit and wholemeal bread only can i have a diet whereby whatever vegetables do for me can be replaced by vitamins persay
Me too . Would love it so

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi,
Sounds yummy but not very good fat wise!!! Lots of butter, cream and sauce is not really going to make up for eating the veg included within. I too am a bit loathe to eating veg but the stir-fry idea is a good one. I can eat veg best, all chopped up together, in a little light olive oil. I eat bowls of mixed fruit though. I am hoping that this makes up for my lack of veg. My uncle never ate a veg in his life!!
What's wrong with good, natural fat?

S

Sean01

can i have a diabetic type 2 healthy diet minus vegetable as i hate them havent found one i could eat more than one piece of before spitting it out in disgust btw im 48 and have no appetite for anything except cereal and semi skimmed milk, bits of fruit and wholemeal bread only can i have a diet whereby whatever vegetables do for me can be replaced by vitamins persay
Opener: good veg (mainly green) and bad veg: I'd rather eat a bowl of sugar than a jacket potato, carrot or parsnip. Don't get me wrong. I love veg - especially potatoes, carrots and parsnips - possibly how I ended up here!
Veg provides fibre, minerals, vitamins and energy. They have varying levels of sugar and release it at various speeds. (Look up Glycemic index.
You could get pretty much everything from a pill, but I have a brother in law who doesn't eat veg. He lives on fibrogel and can spend up to an hour at a time in the bathroom. Veg is like good single malt whisky. Lots of different flavours - just find the ones you like and stick with them. (Since being diagnosed Type 2, I have not eaten bread, fruit, cereal or milk - I feel 15 years younger and my blood pressure problem has gone. Good luck

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
I too loathe veggies. I barf eating them. I do like corn and peas but even green beans make me ill. I try to drink a V8 sometimes just to get veggies in. I also refuse to eat eggs or fish. My diet is cereal milk, and sandwiches.I am a t 2 gor 4 months now and cancelled my last Endo app. because she has me on a measely 100 carbs a day. On the small amount I only get to eat 2 times a day. By afternoon I must go hungry until the next morning. My bs drops very low over night but I just try to sleep until morning when I can eat again. Depression is so deep for me now.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Gmt2 this is an old thread so you may not get many replies.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I too loathe veggies. I barf eating them. I do like corn and peas but even green beans make me ill. I try to drink a V8 sometimes just to get veggies in. I also refuse to eat eggs or fish. My diet is cereal milk, and sandwiches.I am a t 2 gor 4 months now and cancelled my last Endo app. because she has me on a measely 100 carbs a day. On the small amount I only get to eat 2 times a day. By afternoon I must go hungry until the next morning. My bs drops very low over night but I just try to sleep until morning when I can eat again. Depression is so deep for me now.

I see you picked up a very old thread.

Cereal, milk and sandwiches is not a good diet for someone with T2, and could even explain why you have T2.

I think you need to address your eating problem instead of cancelling your medical appointments because the professionals are telling you things you don't like.

If you don't eat eggs or fish, what animal based products do you eat? Cheese? Meat?

Reactions: Prem51

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
I see you picked up a very old thread.

Cereal, milk and sandwiches is not a good diet for someone with T2, and could even explain why you have T2.

I think you need to address your eating problem instead of cancelling your medical appointments because the professionals are telling you things you don't like.

If you don't eat eggs or fish, what animal based products do you eat? Cheese? Meat?
Cheese, meat are ok.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you don't like veg then don't eat them. There are some people on this forum who live quite happily on a carnivore way of eating - animal products only - so meat, fish, chicken, cheese, eggs, double cream.

I tried it and found it difficult because I missed eating some veg.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my veg, but elected, for reasons I won't bother with here, to do a few days of purely carnivorous eating, in preparation for a limited fast. I was utterly astonished how easy it was, and how I didn't actually miss my beloved vegetables.

I'd definitely do it again in the future, from time to time. I lost a little weight, which wasn't my aim at all, but that can be dealt with over time, and some could see it as an advantage.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy most vegetables, not on their own but with other foods on the plate. I was brought up that way and am sure that has an influence.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I absolutely love my veg. I will roast them with herbs and spices, stir fry them in garlic butter, steam them. I cut Corgettes up into chip shapes, spread some tomato puree onto each chip and sprinkle a little garlic powder on top with mixed herbs, and grated cheese. I top with little knobs of butter and put them onto foil and put into my air fryer. I love them. even nice with some chilli flakes. If I have say a couple of eggs some belly pork, I will have a side serving of veg. I am fortunate that I can eat some carrots which do not spike my BGL's. I use stir fry white cabbage instead of rice and top with minced meat or a homemade curry dish. I cannot go more than a day without veg. I crave for the veg lol