JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I only ask because I went to buy some full fat yogurt in Teco today and there was nothing labelled as full fat the yogurt I ended up getting had approx. 9.5 grams of fat per 100 grams is that full fat or is it lowered fat?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks mahola I will continue to follow your valuable advice in this matter. :)

It's just that by loading the shelves with low fat or zero fat products it seems to me they are taking our choices away.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'll have to take a trip to Aldi's then, but was looking for a large tub of greek style for adding to what I cook as well but will get some from Aldi as wife likes to take yogurt to work as a snack.

She watched that video with me, Sugar Crash then went down stairs and threw all the low fat yogurts out.

Reactions: Freema and mahola

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
@JohnEGreen - I googled it for you:

"How much fat in full fat yogurt?"
"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, an 8-ounce serving of plain full-fat yogurt provides about 140 calories, 8 grams of protein, 7.4 grams of fat, 11 grams of carbohydrates and sugar, and 275 milligrams of calcium."

So about 0.9 grams of fat per ounce of yogurt in the USA is full fat yogurt.

The brand I buy, Brown Cow has 9 grams of fat per 8 ounce serving.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh thanks @SWUSA_ that means the yogurt I ended up buying can be classed as full fat I think great.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll have to take a trip to Aldi's then, but was looking for a large tub of greek style for adding to what I cook as well but will get some from Aldi as wife likes to take yogurt to work as a snack.

She watched that video with me, Sugar Crash then went down stairs and threw all the low fat yogurts out.
Ali also do a large flat pot of plain real Greek yogurt a bit more expensive than their standard Greek style tall pot but really nice and yes the little glass pots are lovely

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Favabean

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not sure if this is helpful for you, but for the past few months, I've been making my own kefir yogurt. It's SOOOOO easy! I just got some milk kefir grains from a friend, and all you do is pour milk over the grains and let it sit on your counter overnight, then strain out the kefir grains and eat your yogurt. Then use the kefir grains to make more yogurt, indefinitely. WAY easier than making thermophilic yogurt. You can use whatever milk you want, and flavour however you want - no guessing games at the supermarket. Sometimes I use 10% cream and sometimes I use whipping cream. You can strain the finished kefir through a tea towel if you want thick cream cheese. Cheaper than buying yogurt, and less packaging to throw/recycle, too.

W

WithoutSugar

thanks but I want to but an extra fat yogurt/yogurt-like product in UK
preferably at supermarket, but I can order olnline or travel a bit to get it
any suggestion?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl Milbona Greek Style full fat yogurt .. I think it's £1.38 for a kilogram .. 10g fat and 3.2 carbs .. very nice too , I use loads

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that's 10% fat, is there anything like 30-40%?
That's the highest I've found so far. I think you'd have to make your own with double cream to get 30 - 40 %.. However i do sometimes add double cream to mine :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish this one was in UK:
peakyogurt.com

Also, here it says that in Sweden 18% fat yogurt is widely available:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/peak-yogurt-get-your-triple-fat-yogurt-here

Anything in UK?

Well its not quite yoghurt but have you thought about creme fraiche instead..

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=26753

41g of fat with 2.3g of carbs per 100g if its too thick maybe mix with some double cream?

I have been known to sneak a few spoonfuls when there's some in the fridge...