Just Some thoughts.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are all keeping well.

I have been thinking that I have had the dreaded D since feb 2011 and at some stages it really did take over my life, it simply consumed by waking thoughts (sound strange I know) I guess the stress of it all did not help and the massive learning curve that I had to go through and the changes in eating, the debates and disagreements with the GP’s and nurse.

Our forum was a massive help, but sometimes I did get a little confused with all the different advice that was posted, but it was all helpful in the learning curve.

Also reading other forum members achievement’s was also inspiring to myself to push myself, the with pushing yourself also come disappointment, when you can’t get to where you personally want to be, in my case it was HbA1c and the cholesterol levels.

As for HbA1c some forum members could drop there HbA1c from say 8-11% down to 5-7% in say 3 months, but it took me over 6months to go from 6.6% to 6.3%, then from there about 6months to go from that to currently level of 5.7%, which I am happy about, but human nature then kicks in, where I want to push to go lower, to say some people say true non-diabetic levels. This period was so frustrating for me, it was un-real, BUT I got there.

With the cholesterol levels, I tried and tried, but have not got anywhere near the recommended NHS level of cholesterol for a diabetic, but after reading books and learning from other people on our forum, I am happy with my cholesterol levels, as I learned by breaking them down, it’s not all bad and it’s something that I can work on long term… As this dreaded D is not going to leave me.

I still class myself as a new-bee, I am not an expert in this field nor am I a doctor, but I am an engineer, so understand how things work ECT, I also understand that we are all of different ages and that we all use different ways to control our blood sugars (BS) level.

We all have a common goal, to get our BS levels down to an acceptable level were we are comfortable and where we are not causing any more damage to our bodies.

I am currently happy with where I am, it took some time getting there, but I got there, it was hard, but it was worth it, I am fitter now than I was when I was in my late teens/early 20’s and I am happy. What does the future hold for me – who knows, just got to keep happy and carry on.

I don’t know why I have exactly wrote this, but it was on my mind and I thought I would share it with you all, who knows it may help someone who is new and confused, like I was a short while ago.

Sorry it if was boring .

Cheers
Simply.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi simply, thats a very good and thoughtful post and well done on getting your BS level down to such a good number. Onwards and upwards :thumbup: Best wishes RRB

MaryJ

Simply not boring at all :p

Great post and hopefully an inspriation to those seeing the numbers come down slowly - tis all good!

Mary x

Defren

Not boring at all and exactly what our newly diagnosed members need to read.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Ashleigh

What is the recommended cholesterol figure? When I had my tests that started my diagnosis my total cholesterol was 3.6 - but I didn't get a breakdown of that.