Just started insulin

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought porridge blueberries and a banana would be a really good breakfast for a diabetic. Any suggestions as to what would be a better breakfast.

Porridge, blueberries, and banana, are very healthy.

If you're taking insulin now, especially the novomix, you are taking a mix of longer acting insulin, and shorter acting. At the moment your DSN is advising you on dosing, so you need the right amount of carbs to cover the fast acting insulin in the novomix, but preferably not too much.

Depending on how much porridge you are eating, maybe a bit less, and maybe leave out the banana. See how that works, but don't take too much notice of the low carbers, because you need to match your carb intake to the fast acting in the novomix, and their very low carb ideas would be problematic for you.

But slightly less carbs for breakfast might reduce the spike, and be helpful.

But, because you are taking a mixed insulin, and not controlling how much fast acting insulin you are taking, be a little careful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge, blueberries, and banana, are very healthy.

Unless you are a Type 2 diabetic whose blood spikes up to 16 mmol/l even after taking insulin.
I fail to see how anyone can consider that to be healthy in the slightest.

@Kevrey Have any of your HCP's mentioned changing what you eat or has advice always been based on the Eatwell Guide?
A little more background on your journey so far could be quite useful if you are happy to share that information.
Meals that are high in carbohydrate like porridge and bananas won't be helping much.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you are a Type 2 diabetic whose blood spikes up to 16 mmol/l even after taking insulin.
I fail to see how anyone can consider that to be healthy in the slightest.

@Kevrey Have any of your HCP's mentioned changing what you eat or has advice always been based on the Eatwell Guide?
A little more background on your journey so far could be quite useful if you are happy to share that information.
Meals that are high in carbohydrate like porridge and bananas won't be helping much.

In this case the OP has a combination of insulin resistance, and is also not producing enough insulin Neither of us know how important each factor is.

However, given that the DSN has decided to give him insulin, it is reasonable to assume that not producing enough insulin is important here. Therefore the OP has to eat a breakfast that takes into account his current insulin dose.

This creates a different type 2 experience, to one where the issue is just insulin resistance.

So stop selectively quoting me, and take your low carb evangelism to somewhere more appropriate. People have a right to make their own choices about food. It is reasonable to give advice, but don't assume that everyone else needs what you need. The OP is not overweight, so doesn't need to lose any, however he is 60 so needs a nutrient rich diet.

Everyone isn't you, everyone doesn't need, or want, the same as you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In this case the OP has a combination of insulin resistance, and is also not producing enough insulin Neither of us know how important each factor is.

Neither of us has any idea how much endogenous insulin the OP is producing (I also doubt that the DN has checked this either although it would seem to be the obvious thing to do).
If my sugars spiked to 16 after eating anything I would not touch that particular food ever again. Even if a faceless person from the internet told me it was "healthy".

@Kevrey
If you would like some further help then please let me know.
I would strongly suggest that ditching the porridge and banana would be a good idea for you. But would also advise monitoring your blood sugar levels very, very closely whilst taking insulin if you do decide to reduce your carbohydrate intake.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neither of us has any idea how much endogenous insulin the OP is producing (I also doubt that the DN has checked this either although it would seem to be the obvious thing to do).
If my sugars spiked to 16 after eating anything I would not touch that particular food ever again. Even if a faceless person from the internet told me it was "healthy".

@Kevrey
If you would like some further help then please let me know.
I would strongly suggest that ditching the porridge and banana would be a good idea for you. But would also advise monitoring your blood sugar levels very, very closely whilst taking insulin if you do decide to reduce your carbohydrate intake.

As I said, stop selectively quoting me. I also suggested the OP might want to reduce the carbs in his breakfast.

However I do think it's exceptionally rude to just walk into a thread and tell someone they are eating the wrong food, so I'm just more polite than you. I wouldn't dream of doing it.

People here are adults they are entitled to make their own choices about food.

glendarella76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Taking medication!!!
I thought porridge blueberries and a banana would be a really good breakfast for a diabetic. Any suggestions as to what would be a better breakfast.

Adding Lentils to your breakfast would be super beneficial. Find a kind that is pleasant to your palate and mix it with egg whites, in an omelette, or in a soup. It's not typical breakfast food but the Lentils are high in fiber, folate, magnesium which are all vital in regulating blood sugar and ultimately lowering your A1C. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how Lentils will help your body. Try it for a couple weeks to see how it works for you. I have other tips for diabetes, losing weight, and getting rid of diseases like "Fatty Liver Disease" on my blog. I hope this information helps. Have a blessed day :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kevrey
Im sorry that this disagreement is happening on your thread however I feel it is quite important that you are informed about how dietary choices can impact your condition.
There are numerous therapies that can help with controlling and reducing blood sugar levels. A much reduced carbohydrate diet has been seen to work for many Type 2's and when combined with some intermittent fasting can lead to reductions in medication. Not sure so far what you have been told by your HCP's but some seem quite behind the curve when dietary therapies are concerned.
The guy standing next to me in my avatar is Dr Jason Fung who has had great success in treating and putting Type 2's into remission through diet and fasting.
Here is a link to his site which has a pretty comprehensive database of videos and blog entries which you might find interesting

https://idmprogram.com/videos/

Maybe also check out some of the entries on this thread

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763/

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But they can only do that when they have the correct information.

The "correct" information.

Very evangelical.

The jury is still out on whether low carb is good as a long term diet. People who eat it have to take supplements, it low in fibre, and not necessarily appropriate for everyone. I have even seen it suggested that low fibre, high fat might increase insulin resistance.

A bit less of the evangelism, and a bit more humility would be appropriate.

There are some problems that it solves well. like the need for serious weight loss, and high levels of insulin resistance, in that it will reduce levels of circulating insulin, for someone who has had previously had a very high carb diet.

Also some type 1s like it because they reduce their insulin needs.

But your evangelism creates polarisation, the OP might benefit from a more moderate level of carbs in his diet, but not necessarily going keto, but if you behave as if the only true path is going keto, you make other options harder to talk about.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but if you behave as if the only true path is going keto,

Misrepresentation.. I merely said that porridge and a banana was not "healthy" for the OP which even you have half admitted.

the OP might benefit from a more moderate level of carbs in his diet

I have not suggested a ketogenic diet for the OP either (although you are quite correct in that I believe it could be of benefit)... just that carb reduction may be of great assistance as indeed have you (see quote above) so we are in fact agreeing....

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on 25g carbs a day LCHF evangelist for years, way before it was an accepted method of control, in the days when eating LCHF effectively made me a leper, yet I do ironically believe that porridge with blueberry and a banana is in fact a healthy breakfast. The experience has taught me that I can be correct and yet not have a clue. Funny how things turn out.

Reactions: Struma