just started testing

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having read a number of the threads on testing it was pretty clear that most people round here recommend it, to know how they respond to what they eat. Diagnosed T2 in March and have gone low carb and increased exercise. Started testing on friday morning and nearly all have been been less than 5.5 mM..... apart from last night dinner, 4.4 before and 8.7 2 hours after, there was wine and pretty carby pizza, which is being recorded and I won't be going back there any time.

Today was 5.3 mM first thing, 5.6 mM 2hrs after yoghurt and nuts, 5.5 mM 2 hrs after pork sausages and an egg, 4.5 mM at 19:00 before evening dinner. Dinner was roast chicken, spinach with garlic and goats cheese, salad leaves with olive oil balsamic vig and 1 roast potato.... reading 101 today I tested after an hour, 6.6 mM and 2 hrs 7.1 mM.

It's going to take time to track inputs with BG's but are mid 5's through out the day okay or should I be looking for those to be lower?

Many thanks

Hj

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are doing well with mid 5's, keep up the good work
as long as you stay under 8 anytime after food , you don't need to do better than that, unless you want to

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You look as though you're doing great!

Have a look at the tables of blood sugar ranges given here and not just aim to stay within the recommended T2 bracket, but to get your levels down as close to normal as you can! Learn from your meter what foods to avoid to achieve this target.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're definitely on the right road to getting your D well and truly under control. As Robbity states 'normal' numbers are what we should aspire to achieving.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're definitely on the right road to getting your D well and truly under control. As Robbity states 'normal' numbers are what we should aspire to achieving.
That's a very impressive HbA1c you have there Rory. How did you achieve that, and how long did it take you to get into that zone?

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 18 months ago with an HbA1c of 7.6 I adopted the LC/HF way of eating and lost 25 kilos in the first 8 months. My weight and BMI are now in the normal range. My HbA1c readings just kept decreasing and as you can see the last one taken earlier this month is 4.4.

I'm not a big exerciser, a couple of walks a day with the dogs is about it.

I eat a very satisfying whole foods diet, I don't count calories, I just ensure that my total carbs for the day stay under about 25gs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent. Well done. 25g carb a day is very low, but if it suits you, that's great.

Is it fair to conclude you have lots of readings in the 3s?

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days there will be readings from 3.5 to 4.2 pretty consistently pre and post prandial. Other days low 4s to low 5s. Not a lot of rhyme or reason as to why but that's D for you!