1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just started Victoza

Discussion in 'Incretin Mimetics' started by debdebc, Jan 20, 2017.

1. debdebc

debdebc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there
    I started Victoza 2 days ago and apart from feeling tired I have felt okay. I have been so worried about the sickness side of things as I have a real thing about being sick! I am hoping that if it was going to happen it would have done by now? (could be wishful thinking on my part)!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. cott97

cott97 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I never really had the sickness - I hate being sick too. I did get the odd bout of nausea and I couldn't eat much in the mornings. Still can't. Have been on it about 12 weeks with no real side effects. I have lost weight and it makes me feel full which is a novel feeling. My blood sugar readings have dropped by about half.

• Like Like x 2
  3. debdebc

debdebc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done, it sure sounds like its working for you :). Mt levels were 4.9 this morning which is the lowest they have ever been

• Like Like x 1
  4. cott97

I had a 5.4 which scared me as hadn't seen it that low! Back in the 7's so would like a little lower but I am moving gradually to lower carb to help. I do find its slowed digestion so once every 36-48 hours is normal for me and I have to make an effort to eat fibre. It has helped with my IBS symptoms though so very happy. For me it's a wonder drug and has really helped. Good luck and I hope it works for you. The research papers I read suggested that if you were an early responder ie blood sugars dropped and you lost weight in first 12 weeks then you tended to keep it off after a year and lost more than those in the placebo group.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@cott97 - Hi :). Your 5.4 result was nothing to be scared about. It was well within range. Blood Glucose Ranges for Type 2:
    Before Meals. - 4 to 7.
    2 hours after meals. - 4 to 9

6. cott97

I know - just me panicking and tbh what I should be aiming for but when your previous readings have been 17+, a 5.4 after a couple of simple injections is a shock! Thanks for the reassurance and taking the time to post.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Rainey46

Rainey46 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I've been on Victoza for nearly 2 weeks and never felt so ill, I'm having awful side effects feeling and being sick, diarrhoea and loads of burps which smell and taste like egg (sorry yuk I know). I was wandering if there are any foods to avoid while using Victoza? I'm so close to stopping it.

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi @Rainey46 - perhaps go back and see your GP and/or Diabetes Nurse, and explain these nasty side effects you are experiencing.

9. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I am on victoza and taken it for 15 months with so side effects at all.
    I would speak to your gp about the side effects

10. Rainey46

Rainey46 Type 2 · Newbie

Thanks Liam I think I will do

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook