Just tested for the 1st time...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahaha. Me too 2 mince pies shot me up into double figures. Worth it though. My excuse is I covered them in double cream? No? Not good enough? ;)

Op getting down to the 7's so quick is great. With a 95 you probably have a lot of sugar to get out of your system. Your body will store it wherever it can.

It's a great start.
Thank you.
I love mince pies too or should that be loved, now.

Reactions: Freema

bugs1952

I was diagnosed in November last year, but as my hubby has had T2 for 3 years, it wasn't so hard for me as we already did things differently. I now use Vegi Rice instead of white rice and that keeps my levels low. Potatoes aren't so bad for me, they don't really push my levels up. I use Burgen Linseed and Soya bread as that's the lowest carb bread I can find. I make lots of vegetable soup with pulses as I have to lose some weight as well. I do cheat now and again but all in all, it's working well for me. Good luck to you.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November last year, but as my hubby has had T2 for 3 years, it wasn't so hard for me as we already did things differently. I now use Vegi Rice instead of white rice and that keeps my levels low. Potatoes aren't so bad for me, they don't really push my levels up. I use Burgen Linseed and Soya bread as that's the lowest carb bread I can find. I make lots of vegetable soup with pulses as I have to lose some weight as well. I do cheat now and again but all in all, it's working well for me. Good luck to you.
Thank you. I've started eating cauli rice. I've only just started testing today so working out what suits me. It's all a massive learning curve as I used to eat lots of carbs before and never thought anything of it.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Starfish18
My HbA1c at diagnosis was also 95 and fasting was 18, It took 3 months to get my HbA1c down to 50 and another 3 months to get it into normal levels, I would agree that testing is the most useful tool. I was so fortunate to be given a meter and 200 test strips at a time and told to test. Once I got my readings down I was then told I only needed to do 3 spot checks a week as I was only given a meter as it was obvious I was going straight onto insulin. I still test but not as often as I did at the beginning.