Just To Say Thanks...........

Jawl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to say thanks for all the tips and encouragement I was given here upon being diagnosed a few weeks back. It’s all alien to begin with, and the numbers and abbreviations are baffling. But since my diagnosis 5 weeks ago, I’ve totally cleaned up my diet. No crisps, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, deep fried food or takeaways. I’ve always been a 6 out 7 days a week exerciser anyway. Weights, swimming, strength, walking etc. Just over a week ago I started testing my own levels, and though they were high to begin with, I think I was doing something right, and few tweaks brought the numbers down on the most part. I’m on 500mg Metformin per day for the last 12 days as well as a blood pressure tablet. My GP told me there wasn’t any need to cut carbs out but stick to wholegrain, and control my potato portions etc. Which I did. I’m down 4lbs and my fasting levels the last few days are between 9 and 10.9. Which is good, considering my diagnosis was based 5 weeks ago on a fasting level of 14.9. Before meals are coming in between 5 and 7 and not going too much higher after meals. So I’m happy to progress as I am and see where it takes me. But I had a lot of questions to begin with and was grateful to have a place to ask, so thanks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What great progress! Well done.

By the by, GPs get astonishingly little training in nutrition so if you are still having wholegrain (anything) then limit it or try some of the low carb alternatives.

Keep up the great work.

Jawl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in Ireland, everything moves notoriously slowly. He’s referred me to a clinic, and once they get in touch with me, I’ll be able to access a dietician. It’s working as it is for me now, so I’ll continue as I am til I see them.

VenusStar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just want to say thanks for all the tips and encouragement I was given here upon being diagnosed a few weeks back. It’s all alien to begin with, and the numbers and abbreviations are baffling. But since my diagnosis 5 weeks ago, I’ve totally cleaned up my diet. No crisps, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, deep fried food or takeaways. I’ve always been a 6 out 7 days a week exerciser anyway. Weights, swimming, strength, walking etc. Just over a week ago I started testing my own levels, and though they were high to begin with, I think I was doing something right, and few tweaks brought the numbers down on the most part. I’m on 500mg Metformin per day for the last 12 days as well as a blood pressure tablet. My GP told me there wasn’t any need to cut carbs out but stick to wholegrain, and control my potato portions etc. Which I did. I’m down 4lbs and my fasting levels the last few days are between 9 and 10.9. Which is good, considering my diagnosis was based 5 weeks ago on a fasting level of 14.9. Before meals are coming in between 5 and 7 and not going too much higher after meals. So I’m happy to progress as I am and see where it takes me. But I had a lot of questions to begin with and was grateful to have a place to ask, so thanks.
Good progress

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hey you are doing great, but I am sure you will be able to even get totally normal levels too. most just need to count the grams of carbs they eat in total daily and stay under 150 grams of carb or even lower like under 100 grams of carbs in total in a day. here is a scheme that shows the truely nondiabetic levels.. note that only the green area is the non-diabetic level

50shades - Copy.png

Reactions: Jayden2407

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Jawl, well done, considering what your diet was like at the time of your diagnosis. Some of us tend to be a bit negative when it comes to the advice given by our medical professionals, but, thankfully, you like may others, including myself have found this Forum and forged ahead to create the best eating plan for us INDIVIDUALLY. That is the key - you may find that you can "get away" with some carb that others can't - no need to judge!! You will find that if you experiment with smaller servings, eliminating a carb for a few days and testing how you are doing, and maybe eliminating it all together if it raises your sugars too much, continuing with your exercise regimen, and continuing to read and evaluate in light of your particular situation, you will be successful. So, well done thus far - you are headed in the right direction!! Cheers/L

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Really well done. Keep going!!