@Karen Dwyer

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Karen

I think I read that you bake a lot and I would like your advice on sweetener. I am in the UK and I have a granulated version of Splenda which I intend to use today to make some strawberry muffins for an event. https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-strawberry-chocolate-chip-muffins-sugar-free/

I have bought the erythritol for sprinkling on the muffins, not sure why she uses a different sweetener for the actual muffins. I am having to sub the sweetener she is using for splenda.

I just wondered what you would recommend as a sweetener for baking with.

Thank you

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I used to bake a bit, not a lot of low carb/sugar bakes as the family are fine with eating nice cake in front of me.

I would suspect it is to do with bulk of dry goods vs wet goods in the mix, it still needs to be a good consistancy with the right sweetness.

Ross

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The muffins were pretty rank to be honest, won't be repeating that recipe. Just wondered if there is a better alternative in the UK for when making cakes. Obviously not something I make on a regular basis but for an occasional treat it would be nice.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
kadz, please search under headings, diabetes and gut biome. There is research suggesting that artificial sweetners affect our bowel bugs and actually cause increased insulin resitance. Use of natural sweetners seems the best way to go.