Keeping BS low without exercise, due to injury?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
After my fall over the low wall and hurting my hip, I am still unable to exercise. I have a haematoma on my left hip, so walking far and carrying anything heavy'ish hurts. My diet has remained the same LCHF, my weight has remained at 8st 13lb but my BS has gone up. I know exercise is part of lowering the BS, so what can I do? The Dr said no long walks for another 2 wks.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Anything that involves movement helps beryl, could you swim? The water bears your weight so should be relatively pain free or, what about marching on the spot for a minute or two every half hour? I believe that I read somewhere that even fidgeting helps to increase the metabolism! Good luck!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything that gets your muscles moving - so even sitting in a chair and waving your arms around while holding tins of soup will get core, arm, chest and back muscles firing.

If you want to be systematic, and are willing to spend money, check out the you tube videos on the Bodyblade. Most of the exercises can be adapted for sitting, or are done standing.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @berylc - I fractured my knee cap just 16 days ago. So I can identify with you being in pain and not so mobile. I don't go out unless I really have to, only for appointments etc, but have mild leg exercises to do every day whilst my leg is stretched out on the sofa. However, because of other joint pain I make myself walk about - up the stairs, down the stairs and from room to room every 20 - 30 mins. :)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
There is a small playing field at the back of the house, so I've started to walk up the hill to the top (takes a whole 3 mins!) then back down, then along the flat part, another minute. I'm doing that every half hour. The neighbours must wonder why I'm wandering about like that. Our dog is in last stages of pregnancy, so she doesn't want to walk with me!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) I think exercise and weightloss happens to be overated for glucose control. It will help if you exercise. But if you are like me, who sits in front of a monitor all day long, it is still possible to have normalize HbA1c.

LCHF + Intermittent Fasting.

Reactions: 4 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would it help to walk a little bit, stretch, then try exercising upper body? Every little movements help with blood sugar control.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have hurt the ligaments in my foot, such a pain, hurts even walking the dog and I am on anti-inflamatories. I am still doing my circuit training so I can do the sit ups, weights, rowing machine, etc but have given the treadmill and cross trainer a miss. Doc says may take 10-12 weeks! So annoying. I think like others have said, just try and do anything that makes you feel comfortable.
Try going onto YouTube and typing in 'chair exercises'. x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite possibly that your glucose levels have gone up as a result of the stress and pain from your tumble, and aren't necessarily related to your current reduction in exercise. So don't fret about it, just take it easy and your glucose should hopefully eventually get back to normal.

Robbity

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's quite possibly that your glucose levels have gone up as a result of the stress and pain from your tumble, and aren't necessarily related to your current reduction in exercise. So don't fret about it, just take it easy and your glucose should hopefully eventually get back to normal.

Robbity

That could be the case. My diet hasn't changed much, apart from finding Lidl rolls! Still low carb and high fat, along with lots of good veg.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
2 weeks should only show minor changes unless you run a marathon a day. My tuppence worth is to take the 2 weeks, heal well so it is only 2 weeks and not elongated by an early return.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Could you maybe decrease your food or calorie intake? This should help, since you're not burning off as much energy as you were.

I find that pain meds make me lose most of my appetite.