Type 1 Keeping Insulin cool

unietis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

As the summer is coming soon and I live in a very hot climate where temperature can get up to +40C, i have my doubts on how to keep my insulin pen (that has been taken out of the fridge ) in the recommended room temperature - max up to +26 - +28C. I was thinking on getting the Frio insulin cooling pack, but i'm not sure if those are meant to be used to transport the insulin that i have in my fridge or to carry the insulin that i have already taken out of the fridge. I'm a bit confused.. What are your thoughts? and what would be your suggestions for the best ways how not to overheat insulin pens. Thanks!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the fridge is always going to be best but the frio is excellent for carrying around with you wherever you go to hold your current pen

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

As the summer is coming soon and I live in a very hot climate where temperature can get up to +40C, i have my doubts on how to keep my insulin pen (that has been taken out of the fridge ) in the recommended room temperature - max up to +26 - +28C. I was thinking on getting the Frio insulin cooling pack, but i'm not sure if those are meant to be used to transport the insulin that i have in my fridge or to carry the insulin that i have already taken out of the fridge. I'm a bit confused.. What are your thoughts? and what would be your suggestions for the best ways how not to overheat insulin pens. Thanks!

Hi,
You can use them for both.. It's designed to stop your insulin from spoiling/going off/ruining with the excess heat...

These Frio packs work well. I used one "in anger" a couple of months ago when I went to Crete. The day after we got there, the southern part had an unseasonble heatwave.. (Though not as hot as 40. Lol)
There was a fridge in the room, but venturing out & about with a pen was going to be a problem..
the Frio works (& I was impressed, it does work.) for about 48 hours. Though I would suggest if you throw it in a bag? Placing it in a separate secure pocket with a zip that can be left slightly open at the top.? The reason is the wallet needs to breath for the moisture to evaporate. (Which is how it cools. Like a crude AC unit?) As long as the instructions are followed with the "soaking". I found no issue with the cooling pack getting the bag wet or damp... Especially if it's a hot anyway..

I hope this helps..!