Kellogg’s loses high court case against UK obesity strategy - your thoughts

DorothyH

With Kellogg's recently losing a high court battle over a ban on unhealthy food promotions in supermarkets, we're interested to hear you think.

Legislation coming into effect from October will stop foods high in fat, sugar or salt from being put on display in high-footfall areas including store entrances, check-outs and the end of aisles.

Alongside this, unhealthy foods will no longer be sold in multibuy of buy one get one free offers.

Will removing unhealthy foods and drinks from key areas stop people from buying them? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Hi I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I welcome this change and if it raises awareness that's a good thing. I told my Mum ages ago that Cheerios have a lot of sugar and she was adamant that they don't and are healthy. An aspect of food not often discussed (in general from what I have seen) is the emotional component. Some products are dearly loved as nostalgic items we had in our childhood etc, combined with the clever marketing campaigns over the years. I'm in my late 50s and one of the things I have had to deal with in switching to a low carb diet is the affection I have for some foods/products and also the mindset I have had for decades that certain foods are 'good' It takes a while to switch your thinking as well as getting used to not eating them any more. I guess brand loyalty can come into play when people buy products for themselves and for their family which can add to the resistance to change.

candymint109

Hi I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I welcome this change and if it raises awareness that's a good thing. I told my Mum ages ago that Cheerios have a lot of sugar and she was adamant that they don't and are healthy. An aspect of food not often discussed (in general from what I have seen) is the emotional component. Some products are dearly loved as nostalgic items we had in our childhood etc, combined with the clever marketing campaigns over the years. I'm in my late 50s and one of the things I have had to deal with in switching to a low carb diet is the affection I have for some foods/products and also the mindset I have had for decades that certain foods are 'good' It takes a while to switch your thinking as well as getting used to not eating them any more. I guess brand loyalty can come into play when people buy products for themselves and for their family which can add to the resistance to change.

Reactions: miriamy