Keto Cauliflower cheese

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't cooked cauliflower cheese in decades, so I don't know what made me do this, but I thought I'd share it. All quantities "some".

Cauliflower cut into florets - save the rest for lumpy soup.
Strong cheddar sliced
Butter
Olive oil
Spring onions
Small amount of lardons
Sprinkle of nutmeg

Shove into ovenproof dish with cheese slices on top and nutmeg (a little goes a long way) on top of that.. Bake on low heat.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think "Some" is a very handy international unit of measure.... My mother was a very good cook, but it was my younger married sister who actually introduced me to the idea of recipes made with some quantities of the required ingredients. :D

I've recently seen a recipe for creamy cauliflower and chicken bake, so I'll be trying this by adding
some diced chicken and a sprinkle of sage to my usual concoction.:hungry:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower cheese wasn't eaten in my house growing up, but Cauliflower with cheese was, Grated cheddar was generously sprinkled over the top of cooked cauliflower to melt with the heat.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I cant have cheese it gives me a migraine. Are there any alternatives?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you eat cream cheese? I’ve made it with cream cheese and marmite to give it a bit of that salty bite, the sauce is a bit runny so I cook my cauliflower then roast it on its own in the oven and pour over the sauce at the end

Sauce - fry chopped bacon till crisp add the cream cheese and a splash of double cream and melt, you can let it bubble a bit to reduce it but keep stirring. Pour over cauliflower and put under grill to brown off. Bit more labour intensive but still nice

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lainie71
Is it all cheese that triggers your migraines? I was a long term chronic migraine sufferer but only had issues with blue cheese, I was OK with all other types that I ate.

( And diabetes has been a real blessing in disguise as it's been a migraine killer for me - eating a low carb ketogenic type diet defintely put an end to them and I'm no longer on preventative meds and don't have to avoid dark chocolate or red wine (my two other previous foody triggers.)

Reactions: Glitterlady71

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My version of keto cauliflower cheese is different but similar - also v quick and doesn’t need an oven (though you can use an oven if you like).

I usually cook in bulk (3 caulis at a time) because this stuff disappears v quickly.

Roughly chop your cauliflower and steam cook til soft in a saucepan.
Drain fully.
Add a pack of cream cheese
And a pack of grated cheddar
And a pack of any other cheese you feel like. Gouda, smoked cheese and Stilton all work, and give v interesting variations.
Season with salt, pepper, herbs, smoked chipotle or anything else you like.

Bacon, chorizo, black garlic or mattersons all make interesting additions.

Stir and serve.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could keep the grated cheddar back to sprinkle on top, then blast it under the grill to crisp up the top, but in this house that extra step, and the accompanying delay, might lead to mutiny and and irate complaints.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Lainie71
Is it all cheese that triggers your migraines? I was a long term chronic migraine sufferer but only had issues with blue cheese, I was OK with all other types that I ate.

( And diabetes has been a real blessing in disguise as it's been a migraine killer for me - eating a low carb ketogenic type diet defintely put an end to them and I'm no longer on preventative meds and don't have to avoid dark chocolate or red wine (my two other previous foody triggers.)
Unfortunately is all cheese so I will try the cream cheese. Chocolate and coffee are triggers also.

Reactions: lovinglife

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am loving all these variations!

Lainie - can you try lardons? I find a few go a long way flavour-wise. And I second the suggestion of chorizo too.

Reactions: lovinglife

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am loving all these variations!

Lainie - can you try lardons? I find a few go a long way flavour-wise. And I second the suggestion of chorizo too.
Hi, I have never heard of lardons. Will google and investigate!

• Agree
Reactions: AloeSvea

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was horrified to read this, as without cheese I might well starve to death! I Googled and found this from Penn Medicine:
"When it comes to cheese, older isn't always better… for headaches.
If eating cheese makes your head hurt, it's likely an aged-type like Swiss, Parmesan, Brie or cheddar. Aged cheeses are high in tyramine, a natural chemical found in some foods. Tyramine can cause headaches by constricting and dilating blood vessels."
I hope this may help. After all, there must be thousands of different cheeses. Maybe at least cottage or cream cheese might be OK?

• Friendly
Reactions: Lainie71

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately is all cheese so I will try the cream cheese. Chocolate and coffee are triggers also.

How about the fake vegan cheeses?
Or try thinking even further outside the box and use coconut milk or cream.
Powdered coconut milk can be mixed with water to whatever consistency you like.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering about cream or yghurt, with maybe a bit of mustard or nutmeg for a little zing.

I'd not ever have thought of vegan "cheese"!! :oops:
:oops:

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby brought in a cauliflower and leek bake yesterday from our local butchers. I looked at it thinking oh if only I could have a bit of that with my ham save me cooking! When I read the ingredients it had no flour or thickener.

Was cauliflower, chopped leeks, yoghurt, seasoning,mozzarella cheese. It was tasty but I did add a bit of chorizo to mine (hubby doesn’t eat red meat)

I’m very lucky with our local butcher as they do a few of made on the premises, no rubbish, fresh ingredients, probably unintentionally low carb “ready meals” I don’t buy many but they do a lovely chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella then coated in yogurt sprinkled with spring onion and chorizo = 30 minutes in the air fryer - yum :)