Keto diet and ED

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for some advice on a rather delicate subject.
Can a ketogenic or reduced carb diet help with ED. Or is ED something that has to be accepted especially with the onset of age?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow timing...
Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 19.54.59.png

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can a ketogenic or reduced carb diet help with ED. Or is ED something that has to be accepted especially with the onset of age?

Hi @therower ,

I think we're about the same age.? (Wrong side of 50.)
I never realy thought about this subject much. Stuff for me still works. (Unless I'm going low of course.)

Have you seen your doctor regarding the issue?

There are a lot of contributing factors regarding ED. (it's not just all about diabetes.)
But as diabetics, good BG management can help reduce the risk as with any other complication.

I'm not on a keto diet, but I do LC which works for me.

I feel there are certain things one should accept as the candle count creeps up on the cake.
Not being able to express experience needn't be one of them.

M

Member496333

So far it seems that the list of benefits from ketogenic eating is longer than the average erection, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have no intention of speculating as to whether Dr Bernstein has ever experienced ED, however, he talks openly about having numerous complications by his forties while using standard insulin treatment methods of the day. He also states that these slowly resolved following his low carb and tight insulin dosing way of living. He states (in his book) that the only complication that hasn’t resolved is structural damage to his feet, which affects how he walks, to this day.

If you have a rummage on his website, he has a video in which he discusses the healing of neuropathy and vascular damage, but says that it requires very tight blood glucose control. I believe his stated target for his patients is an HbA1c of 27, and the closer the patient can get to that, the more healing is achieved.

This is not something I have any experience of, except that keeping to lower numbers makes stabbing pains in my feet disappear when they start (after a period of lesser control).