Keto/LCHF and gout.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been having a mooch around on the subject and found some opinions on the subject but no reliable info. Does anyone have some links to anything that supports keto eating as a way of controlling gout?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been having a mooch around on the subject and found some opinions on the subject but no reliable info. Does anyone have some links to anything that supports keto eating as a way of controlling gout?

Wiflib, I'm pleased to report neither I nor my OH have ever experienced gout, although I gather it's horribly painful.

Hopefully my post will bring your thread into better view.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wiflib, I'm pleased to report neither I nor my OH have ever experienced gout, although I gather it's horribly painful.

Hopefully my post will bring your thread into better view.

My otherwise healthy brother who comes from a long line of metabolically damaged heritage has it but he’s smart and needs good evidence.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I have been looking up something similar just now because I have quite acidic urine on low carb/ keto and I'm getting dehydrated. Some recommend potassium citrate supplements as an alkalizer which could treat gout I think.
I wanted to ask others if they find on low carb / keto and have acidic urine and dehydration (and heart palpitations and dizziness n my case) does supplementing with potassium chloride, as you find in Lo-salt, help with any of those symtoms, or would potassium citrate be better, or maybe a combination?

I know it's safer to get potassium citrate from your diet and it's usually vegetables that are recommended, but sadly the white potato is one of the better sources and it's kind of off limits because of the carbs. But eating a whole lot of salad and spinach and mushrooms might be a way to get it back in your diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been looking up something similar just now because I have quite acidic urine on low carb/ keto and I'm getting dehydrated. Some recommend potassium citrate supplements as an alkalizer which could treat gout I think.
I wanted to ask others if they find on low carb / keto and have acidic urine and dehydration (and heart palpitations and dizziness n my case) does supplementing with potassium chloride, as you find in Lo-salt, help with any of those symtoms, or would potassium citrate be better, or maybe a combination?

I know it's safer to get potassium citrate from your diet and it's usually vegetables that are recommended, but sadly the white potato is one of the better sources and it's kind of off limits because of the carbs. But eating a whole lot of salad and spinach and mushrooms might be a way to get it back in your diet.
Do some more reading, you may be swapping (an as yet unconfirmed) problem for another. E.g. oxalates or lectins or both.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Do some more reading, you may be swapping (an as yet unconfirmed) problem for another. E.g. oxalates or lectins or both.
I just ate a big bowl of spinach tonight... you can't win.

Post edited by moderator to remove offensive language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just ate a big bowl of spinach tonight... you can't win.
One thing I learned about spinach is that to gain any iron from it it has to be cooked to destroy some of the baddies in it that make the iron un-bioavailable. I am not too worried about the lectins and oxalates in green leafy veg as the quantity I eat has reduced over the last two years but that doesn't mean I avoid it altogether, I enjoy a side salad of fresh baby spinach and watercress occasionally. I try not to get too bogged down in the minutiae otherwise we just wouldn't eat anything.

Quote edited to align with earlier intervetion

Last edited by a moderator:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing I learned about spinach is that to gain any iron from it it has to be cooked to destroy some of the baddies in it that make the iron un-bioavailable. I am not too worried about the lectins and oxalates in green leafy veg as the quantity I eat has reduced over the last two years but that doesn't mean I avoid it altogether, I enjoy a side salad of fresh baby spinach and watercress occasionally. I try not to get too bogged down in the minutiae otherwise we just wouldn't eat anything.

Quote edited to align with earlier intervetion

Well, I learned tonight, after buying trendy coconut water for the electrolytes that good old milk pretty much has the same amount of potassium and sodium anyway (more fat and protein of course) and similar amount of carbs. You just wouldn't see someone in a gym guzzling milk to replace electrolytes, probably because of fat content and maybe milk allergies), but still.. to advertise coconut water as some kind of electrolyte elixir is just marketing nonsense.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, I learned tonight, after buying trendy coconut water for the electrolytes that good old milk pretty much has the same amount of potassium and sodium anyway (more fat and protein of course) and similar amount of carbs. You just wouldn't see someone in a gym guzzling milk to replace electrolytes, probably because of fat content and maybe milk allergies), but still.. to advertise coconut water as some kind of electrolyte elixir is just marketing nonsense.
'Trendy' sells. That is why I like LCHF/Keto, there's no profit in broccoli or cheese ;).

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
'Trendy' sells. That is why I like LCHF/Keto, there's no profit in broccoli or cheese ;).
Ah but there is a huge industry around trendy "keto" products now. Haven’t tried any myself but I'm waiting to see keto fast food appear so next time my car breaks down I don’t eat a meat pie hoping it's more meat than carbs... I think there are already a few restaurants around that hsve added a keto part to their menus.

Reactions: Guzzler