Keto quiche

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@mentat I cheat! I make the egg/cream/cheese part but no crust...I just use my ancient Joy of Cooking recipe as a general guide.

Viv19

A friend put me onto this Keto quiche recently, it's insanely good.

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-quiche-recipes.html

I've swapped to cheaper cheese and added shredded bacon. Amazing. Also you can throw vegetables into it.

The photo shows a quiche with a pastry shell, but the recipe doesn’t mention that.
Quiche with salad used to be a favourite weekend meal.
One of the best quiches I ever had was in a cafe restaurant with chunks of salmon and largish pieces of broccoli- in a deep quiche pan, absolutely delicious.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that any quiche can be made low carb, just by using a low carb pastry option (for example lo dough, or an almond pastry crust). Alternatively line the quiche dish with greaseproof paper, or ham, or bacon, press the meat edges togehter to seal, then fill and cook as normal.

Since the purpose of the pastry is to protect the edges of the egg from overcooking, it can be cooked slightly more gently (lower heat) if there is no rim - or use a bain marie.

Love a good quiche.
I tend to replace any milk in the recipe with double cream, to cut the carbs a little further, too.

Reactions: Viv19 and Energize

Viv19

I think that any quiche can be made low carb, just by using a low carb pastry option (for example lo dough, or an almond pastry crust). Alternatively line the quiche dish with greaseproof paper, or ham, or bacon, press the meat edges togehter to seal, then fill and cook as normal.

Since the purpose of the pastry is to protect the edges of the egg from overcooking, it can be cooked slightly more gently (lower heat) if there is no rim - or use a bain marie.

Love a good quiche.
I tend to replace any milk in the recipe with double cream, to cut the carbs a little further, too.

It really takes a different view to change from using low fat milk for the quiche custard (to lower fat intake) to using double cream ‘to cut the carbs.’ Sometimes I feel I should take my head off and refit it. Completely different thinking.