1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto quiche

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by mentat, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mentat

mentat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@mentat I cheat! I make the egg/cream/cheese part but no crust...I just use my ancient Joy of Cooking recipe as a general guide.

3. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

The photo shows a quiche with a pastry shell, but the recipe doesn’t mention that.
    Quiche with salad used to be a favourite weekend meal.
    One of the best quiches I ever had was in a cafe restaurant with chunks of salmon and largish pieces of broccoli- in a deep quiche pan, absolutely delicious.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that any quiche can be made low carb, just by using a low carb pastry option (for example lo dough, or an almond pastry crust). Alternatively line the quiche dish with greaseproof paper, or ham, or bacon, press the meat edges togehter to seal, then fill and cook as normal.

Since the purpose of the pastry is to protect the edges of the egg from overcooking, it can be cooked slightly more gently (lower heat) if there is no rim - or use a bain marie.

Love a good quiche.
    I tend to replace any milk in the recipe with double cream, to cut the carbs a little further, too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

It really takes a different view to change from using low fat milk for the quiche custard (to lower fat intake) to using double cream ‘to cut the carbs.’ Sometimes I feel I should take my head off and refit it. Completely different thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook