Ketoacidosis

Trinnie

I was hospitalized with ketoacidosis in the beginning of March this year, after having gotten ill on a long train ride home from visiting my mom.

It was a complete nightmare for me. At first, I started breathing really heavily for an abnormal amount of time after having to run with my luggage to reach a bus. Then it just got worse and worse, and I was hyperventilating after only walking a bit. My lips were cracked, I could barely call it lips anymore because it was just some very hard and dry pieces of skin.

I was very dehydrated, but I didn't really notice because I wasn't thirsty. In the end, it was so bad that if I only took a few steps I'd start hyperventilating. In the end, a guy working the cashier at a kiosk in the Oslo bus station asked if he should call an ambulance.

At first, I refused, because my eight hour long bus ride home to Denmark from Oslo were leaving in about an hour and a half, but I ended up going back and ask him to because I was getting scared.

So the ambulance picked me up, measured my blood sugar which was quite high, (When I'm sick, I have very bad control over my blood sugar levels) and drove me to the emergency department in Oslo. Which for some reason is separate from the hospital.

When I got there, I saw a doctor, and in the end, he just gave me some subscription for some more insulin. By then, I'd already missed my bus home.

Despite me telling the nurses that I had no where to go in Oslo, and that I'd missed my bus, and that the bus station was closed (It opens at about 4 am) they were still sending me off, at 12:30 am.

The only reason I didn't spend the next few hours on the street outside the bus station, was because a nurse saw me on my way out, coughing and hyperventilating, frankly looking like sh*t, told me I wasn't going anywhere yet, and took me to a bed.

I slept there til 04:00 am, when a nurse woke me up, and asked me when my bus left (my boyfriend in Denmark had ordered a new bus ticket for me). I told her it left at 07:10, and she said it was time for me to get out.

I ended up sleeping an hour in the waiting room because I was so incredibly tired, before I ended up ordering a taxi to drive me to the bus station, where I slept on a bench til my bus arrived. Despite being dehydrated, I only drank about one litre of water on the bus, because I wasn't thirsty. I also kept falling asleep, mostly without even being aware of it until I banged my head against the window.

When I arrived in Copenhagen, my boyfriend picked me up. He had to park a bit away, and I'd have to stop every few meters because I hyperventilated so much. By that time, only moving a bit caused me to breathe heavily.

I slept most of the hour it took to drive home, where we promptly called a doctor to come over and take a look at me.
At that time, I couldn't stop hyperventilating, even while lying down on the couch not moving at all, and it really felt like I couldn't breathe properly.
So we called for an ambulance.

The doctor arrived a bit before the ambulance, took my blood sugar which was fine by that time, listened to my lungs which sounded fine, and said I was probably just hyperventilating because I was scared.

My boyfriends mother also several times said my breath smelled of nail polish remover.

The ambulance people decided to take me to the hospital though.

Well, I had a pulse of 140, and a very fast heart rate.

Despite all the signs, and my explaination of things, none of the doctors caught that I had ketoacidosis. It hurt to deeply inhale and exhale, and by then, my stomach muscles hurt from breathing in the way I did.

At first, they even thought I'd taken drugs. One doctor actually suggested to check for ketones, but another said that nah, my blood sugar was fine, so that couldn't possibly be it.

It was first when they took a blood test that they saw elevated ketone levels in my blood.

Well, apparently by then, the PH value in my blood was at 7.1, which is, as far as I've been able to find, the average time when someone falls into a coma.

I feel like I was very lucky that it ended as well as it did.

Is it really this difficult for doctors to think that a person with Diabetes type 1 can have ketoacidosis, especially when quite a few symptoms are represented? I'd like to know some peoples thoughts about this situation I was in.

velcrohead

It's when I read stories like this that I am so glad the Hospital I was taken to at diagnosis is so brilliant.
Not very good how you have been treated.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shocking and some people think the NHS is bad :(

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is very scary what happened and frightening that so many health professionals failed to test you for ketones. I hope you are feeling better now. I would suggest that you keep a blood ketone test kit with in-date strips with you so that you are able to test yourself for ketones if something like this happens again.

Elc1112

You're a diabetic and you went into hospital with high blood sugars. You were also presenting other DKA symptoms. I don't understand why they didn't test you! I was in a car accident a couple of years ago and they tested me for ketones just as a precaution!

On the plus-side, you're ok now. If this ever happens again (and I hope it doesn't) make sure you ask them to check for DKA, especially if your sugars are high.

DKA can get very serious very quickly. I'm glad that they (eventually) caught it before it got too serious.

Hope you're doing well now. Take care of yourself!

Em x

sbrownuk1

For dk , they must take a blood sample from an artery normally At your wrist , I've had it twice as a result of a bad flu , an don't want it again !, both times my bm's where sitting at 9 which I couldn't get my head round at the time seamingly de hydration was the main cause

raesj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a really bad headache back in 2001 and was being sick... Didn't eat for a day and a half, so my mum in law took me to St Mary's A&E in London on the Monday morning. I was sent home with headache and sickness tablets. By the thursday, everyone was really worried, I hadn't eaten at all, but had kept up with minimal insulin injections.

My lil sis came round in the afternoon and called an ambulance... Went back to the same old respected TEACHING HOSPITAL where I was on a trolley for a few hours before trying to get to the toilet but ended up collapsing in the corridor... At which point I was rushed to re-sus where they discovered I had not only meningitis, but obviously ketoacidosis too. They told my sister that it was unlikely that I would survive. We have some really poor stories of service provision heh!... Regularly feel lucky to be alive, no thanks to the NHS x :D

cherri

I am afraid to say that i have had the same sort of experience, however it was around 10yr ago. I had run out of my insulin and thought i would be ok for just one weekend. I ended up gasping for breath, vomiting and it was like bright lights were being shone into my eyes, i couldnt see infront of me. I managed to get up to the chemist at the top of my street, where i collapsed. The staff got me over to the doctors surgery across the road where they kept asking what i had taken, and i kept trying to say 'i need my insulin'. They wouldnt believe that i wasnt overdosing on some kinda drug. So they called an ambulance which took me to hospital, and there the nurse said there was no way i could have Ketoacidosis cos my sugar wasnt high enough. When my bloods were analysed the doctor said she couldnt believe i was still breathing and that it was extremely lucky i had managed to get myself out of my flat to the chemist. My mum wanted to take pictures of me cos she said i was an awful colour, but i wouldnt let her. I also had the 'taste' in my mouth, i thought the hospital must be sterelising their sheets excessively.lol. Anyway, im here now, and will never let myself go without insulin again :) Lxx

nesquick

Last year I went to Barnet hospital with symptoms of feeling unwell,the doctors dismissed me saying that I was ok,I couldn't even walk so I rang my sister to pick me up,on the way we stopped at my brothers place where I was sick twice.my sister took me home & helped me settle in.the next day it was pouring with rain & my brother & sister were trying to ring me saying not to go out but I wasn't answering the phone because I had collapsed & drifted into a coma.my brother got suspicious as to why I wasn't answering the phone & came to my flat (he has spare keys in case of emergencies) where he found me barely breathing,he called for the ambulance & a single car came when he tested my blood sugar level it was way past the top reading so the ambulance man immediately called for back up,when the main ambulance came they immediately took me to the royal free hospital where I was rushed into resus.my brother waited in the relatives room & after a few hours the doctor came in & said that I was in a coma & had dka.i was taken to intensive care where the doctors told my brother that I had blood sugar level of 88 & my survival rate wasn't sure,I was in a coma for 5 weeks & in total I was in hospital for just over 2 months.i now need care 4 times a day,my overall level of diabetes control isn't bad but like anyone I have my bad days.my advice to anyone who feels unwell is to always get a second opinion & to get your ketones checked.my advice to all is please take care of yourselves as life is too short to take major risks with your health :crazy: