Ketone reading low

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been really really strict with diet over the last 4 days and my ketone level was reading 0.9 2 days ago. It was 0.7 yesterday and 0.1 this morning at 6.45am? Does it make a difference on the time of day when I test? What am I doing wrong!!?
Ta

Last edited by a moderator:

reidpj

I concur (I really like that word for some reason :)). Readings tend to be at their lowest in the mornings - unless, of course, you're a shift worker, then.....

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not to worry! I've just checked and it's now 1.9! Maybe I am normal after all!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you measuring them? If you use the "wee sticks" you may not see very high levels in your urine if you're well into ketosis as there'll be fewer passed out as waste - you body's utilising them better.

When I remember I check my ketones last thing at night and soon after i wake up. I use a Ketonix "breathalyser" so don't have actual figures, but on the whole they're lower in the evening. I've ranged recently from few or no ketones (blue/ green see chart below) through to high levels(yellow/red). I don't worry too much because on average they will be in the mid range when I get up, and I believe their levels are probably changing all the time.with the amount of fat I've eaten, the amount of energy I've used, and sometimes how long I need to breath out to get a result. Nor do their levels appear to bear much actual relation to my glucose ones... @Pasha was recording in a thread somewhere his fasting glucose and his morning ketone levels - But the following graph might also be helpful?

optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg

Ketonix data (Colour bands don't correspond to colours on above graph!)

Ketonix_chart.png

Robbity

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting... Thanks for the charts. Looks like I'm in the right zone then