Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Does anyone have recommendations for a meter that tests ketones, with strips that are not too extortionate?

I’ve been using the Caresens Dual but it looks like ketone strips for that are not going to be available for a while, so I’d like to find an alternative. I’m happy with my BG meter, so this would purely be for testing ketones.

Thanks.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal . Not sure if this is any help, but in the short term could you manage with ketone urine test strips.
Cheap ( I think ) to buy but not as convenient.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal . Not sure if this is any help, but in the short term could you manage with ketone urine test strips.
Cheap ( I think ) to buy but not as convenient.

Thanks. I understand that for those in consistent ketosis the urine strips are not very helpful. I only test once a week and have 4 or 5 strips left but they’ve been getting harder to obtain (out of stock, rationed and now out of stock again).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I understand that for those in consistent ketosis the urine strips are not very helpful. I only test once a week and have 4 or 5 strips left but they’ve been getting harder to obtain (out of stock, rationed and now out of stock again).

have you considered one of these, Goonergal? I don't have it, but @Brunneria mentioned it a while ago, so I have it on my Amazon "List", to bookmark it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GGQK...olid=266YF8HXE6ZP8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting thought, thanks. Might give it a whirl while I still have some strips for comparison purposes. Would work out a lot cheaper in the long run and I happen to have a £10 Amazon voucher in my account.
Also you're in a great position to do a parallel test blood against breath..as I believe they measure different things.. (I could be wrong)..

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Does anyone have recommendations for a meter that tests ketones, with strips that are not too extortionate?

I’ve been using the Caresens Dual but it looks like ketone strips for that are not going to be available for a while, so I’d like to find an alternative. I’m happy with my BG meter, so this would purely be for testing ketones.

Thanks.
I just this moment bought 40 (4 packs of 10each) ketone test strips for the freestyle optium Neo meter at £5 a pop on eBay.
I am an avid eBay shopper, I purchase all my test strips on ebay. (I do have multiple brands of meters which also allows me to pick up these so called bargains of mine.)
I use both Glucomen lx ketone strips and the Freestyle optium Neo ketone strips.
I have never had to pay more than £5 a pack for any of them.
It takes patience and being willing to snag a deal whenever you see one.

I also found a fantastic urine ketone strips that I cannot recommend highly enough.
They run £1.99 for a pot of 50.
Once you are able to "Calibrate" the colours to the Ketone values of your meter, they are such a cost effective way of monitoring ketones.

With unerring accuracy I can tell you what a colour reading on the urine strip, will give me on the Ketone meter.
Its saved me to much money.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also you're in a great position to do a parallel test blood against breath..as I believe they measure different things.. (I could be wrong)..
No you're right -
Blood ketone tests strips check beta-hydroxybutyrate and are most accurate; wee strips test excreted acetoacetate, which I stopped seeing once i was in ketosis and my body was actualy using ketones not just producing them; breath testing checks (waste) acetone in your breath.

AFAIK non of then are directly comparable, and I've not seen any apparent relationship between my blood and breath results. I use an elderly (now) standard (traffic lights style ) Ketonix breath tester which I've had for nearly five years and cost me around £75, and have sometimes more recently bought bargain ketone strips for my Libre reader which can be used with Optium Neo blood and ketone test strips as well as for scanning the sensors.

Robbity

ETA @bulkbiker: Jimmy Moor and BJCaveman(?) published some blood/breath comparisons when the Ketonix was first available, and as far as I remember now, didn't have much joy either...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Duly ordered. Will report back.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Free delivery too.. I have a few Caresens strips left so will do a parallel test when the new one arrives..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine just arrived with the Postie
IMG_1990.jpeg

Reactions: Goonergal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First parallel reading.. my ketones are usually low in the mornings anyway..and I rarely set the correct time on my meters....and yes I should have dusted the screen sorry...
IMG_1991.jpeg

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should have mine by the end of the week - and the breathiliser from Amazon too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should have mine by the end of the week - and the breathiliser from Amazon too.
I'll do a day's fast and another check.. so far the new one seems to read 0.2 lower than the Caresens Dual. Will try not to eat until dinner tomorrow and see... (after dinner tonight that is!).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll do a day's fast and another check.. so far the new one seems to read 0.2 lower than the Caresens Dual. Will try not to eat until dinner tomorrow and see... (after dinner tonight that is!).

Great. Look forward to comparing notes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Second test.. nothing to eat so far today just tea and coffee (with cream of course)
IMG_1994.jpeg

Sorry forgot to dust the Caresens Dual again.. but closer results..