Ketone Testing?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Question: if we're type 2 with insulin deficiency so using exogenous insulin... are we required to test for ketones regularly?

No one has mentioned it to me, .although I have been told a couple of times in hospital that they found ketones in my urine and I had to eat.

I've never tested for ketones myself personally and I'm not even sure you can get ketone strips to check? I will have to look out of them if I'm supposed to be doing that.

Any type 2's here with insulin deficiency that do test for ketones? Curious.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recommendation I've always read is that you only need to test for ketones if your BG is very high.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to add, if you have an Abbott Optium, you can also test ketones on the same meter. Not sure about other brands in Australia.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh last time I was in ER my BG was 11 and wouldn't go lower, but then my BP was 198/110 mostly and wouldn't go lower either. They found ketones then and made me eat a sandwich and take insulin.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to add, if you have an Abbott Optium, you can also test ketones on the same meter. Not sure about other brands in Australia.

oh ok, thanks... I don't have that meter though.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mep

Have a look at the following which explains when you should test for ketones:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

Now I can see why the hospital was concerned about it.

I probably should be doing tests considering I've been unwell a fair bit and have been having problems getting sugar levels down too.

My T1 friend did ask me some time ago whether I tested for ketones and told me I should be doing that because I was on insulin. I told her docs never told me to do it as yet. But she was adamant I should do this anyhow. But I still haven't done any of my own testing. Ok, I slap my wrist for being naughty and will add this to my testing in future.... it may help me too.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I have a B-Ketone meter, a Glucomen LX Plus. The strips are pretty expensive if you have to pay for them and there are usually 5 in a tub. I am prone to DKA even though I am T2. If my BGs >13.9 mmol/l then I will test for ketones in my blood. My DNS will issue scripts for the strips when I ask for them and my GP will sign them. :)

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have an optimum and though I have not been sick lately check my ketones every Sunday mainly to see if I am in ketosis.
You should be able to get the meter for free and then ketone sticks will cost you $ 7.95 per packet.
Be warned you need a lot more blood for the BG and ketone sticks compared to other meters

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an optimum and though I have not been sick lately check my ketones every Sunday mainly to see if I am in ketosis.
You should be able to get the meter for free and then ketone sticks will cost you $ 7.95 per packet.
Be warned you need a lot more blood for the BG and ketone sticks compared to other meters
You're right. I recently upgraded my nearly 5 year old Freestyle Optium Excel to a Freestyle Optium Neo because I had a supply of strips and they both use the same ones - my local chemist in WA had them on the usual buy/Abbott refunds the purchase price deal - and the ketone strips are around $7.95 for a pack of 10 strips.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small correction to the last post - I bought a pack of blood ketone testing strips today and the price was $9.45 for 10.

Reactions: Mep