Ketone

Rich12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Snow
Hi, I’m new on here, I’m type 2 and taking trulicity dulaglutide, just got a blood test meter from the doctors. It’s a true you kit. Bloods are reading 14.7 and ketone is flashing on the display. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if all is ok.? Cheers

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know this meter, but as 14.7 is a tad high, is it telling you to check your ketones? Is there an explanation in the information leaflet that came with the meter?

Rich12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Snow
it is asking me to check my ketones, but I have not a clue how to do that, and I’m sure I don’t have the equipment. It just says perform a ketone test as per the health plan as prescribed by your healthcare professional.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can check ketone levels two ways. Either with a urine ketone dip stick you can buy from a pharmacy, or with ketone strips like your blood glucose strips, but you need the strips and a meter that is compatible with them. However, I think you can safely ignore this warning as a level of 14.7 is not drastically high.

Rich12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Snow
You can check ketone levels two ways. Either with a urine ketone dip stick you can buy from a pharmacy, or with ketone strips like your blood glucose strips, but you need the strips and a meter that is compatible with them. However, I think you can safely ignore this warning as a level of 14.7 is not drastically high.
Thank you for that, put my mind at ease.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

keefidee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also use the same meter and also get the same warning blue flashes. In my experience, if you are also loosing weight your body will produce ketones which can result in the blue flashing. I questioned this with my diabetic nurse and she confirmed if the weight loss in intended then the presence of ketones should be fine. I would suggest you also have this conversation with your diabetic nurse or GP to ensure all is within acceptable limits.

Reactions: Rich12