Ketones and highish glucose

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I have always doubted my diagnosis of type two, perhaps out of denial and with little evidence, and thought it would be useful to get a ketone meter to try and get a better understanding of what's going on inside my body.

The meter arrived today and I tested my ketones after very very bad glucose levels recocoded this morning (16.0!!! normally between 8.0 and 10.0 in morning) which were at 1.5

Does this support my theory that I am lada diabetic as I thought insulin levels need to be low to produce ketones at that level?

I have already had a gad antibody test which was negative. I eat a strict keto diet, less than 20g carbs per day, but am still struggling to control my glucose levels.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gav

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Not necessarily but possible

Mind you keto in keto diet stands for ketone as in you starve yourself to allow the body to eat the fat hence making ketones

Whilst unusual T2 can produce keytones if they are highly insulin resistant and the body is not getting enough energy from the food

It’s also possible to get keytones from starving yourself

However if you are not starving yourself I would suggest reporting the keytones to your gp or diabetic clinic

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi searley, Thanks for your support. I am an intermittent faster and am 5' 6", 10 stone dead.

Would you agree then that there might be two possible scenarios.

1. Low insulin levels, possibly lada which could explain ketone levels

2. Normal/high insulin levels with very high insulin resistance.

I've never believed option two as I am underweight and quite active (I run about 30 miles a week), but know it's a possibility.

Would a c peptide test be of any use?

Gav

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Right

I’m pretty much the same 5’10 11 stone

Was diagnosed T2 10 years ago rediagnosed this year T1

So I’m not going to say it’s not possible I fact in my opinion it make me believe option 1 more likely but either could be possible

Cpeptide is how I was rediagnosed..

If you do get one do it on the morning before food

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can’t see how your being treated if you are on insulin then the diagnosis of type is not so critical

But if you are not on insulin I would push for a cpeptide as there will be a point insulin becomes essential for control

So good luck

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just diet 'controlled', no insulin. I will def push for c peptide. Might just pay for it myself.

Thanks again

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a private c peptide blood test done. Turns out my suspicions were correct and I have low insulin levels. I'm sad but in a way relieved as it all makes sense now.

I have an appointment with the endocrinologist on the 25th of June but need to start learning about type 1 treatments. Any learning resources i can learn from would be gratefully received.