Ketones

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should all diabetics test their ketones I have been low carbing for months. I am not on any medication and my last hsbc1 was 55 sorry still learning

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're not on medication, I'm assuming you're a Type 2?

Measuring ketones for Type 2's is only really necessary if you are tracking whether you're in nutritional ketosis or not (usually only if under approx. 30g carbs per day). If you're not deliberately tracking ketosis, then no need to test.

Ketones are usually only an issue for Type 1 or Type 2's on insulin - even then, it's usually only a danger if the person has BOTH ketones and very high blood glucose levels.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
If you're not on medication, I'm assuming you're a Type 2?

Measuring ketones for Type 2's is only really necessary if you are tracking whether you're in nutritional ketosis or not (usually only if under approx. 30g carbs per day). If you're not deliberately tracking ketosis, then no need to test.

Ketones are usually only an issue for Type 1 or Type 2's on insulin - even then, it's usually only a danger if the person has BOTH ketones and very high blood glucose levels.
I do. I am T2, inject massive amounts of insulin and prone to DKA. The OP should ask her DSN. Some T2's especially those on insulin and prone to ketones/DKA.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do. I am T2, inject massive amounts of insulin and prone to DKA. The OP should ask her DSN. Some T2's especially those on insulin and prone to ketones/DKA.
The OP specifically stated that she is not on any medications.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't matter, being ruled out is safer.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I've never heard of any Type 2 who isn't taking medication that is subject to DKA unless they have extremely high BG. I'm assuming at the levels involved with DKA the OP would be feeling very sick indeed.

Even better would be for the OP to obtain a meter and start testing her BG levels than to worry about ketones, IMO.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interestingly at my last diabetes check every thing was ok Hba 43 ,BP fine ,gained a little weight (good for skinny me) then urine tested and keytones found .DN checked with GP and they decided. that I was dehydrated and should drink lots of water .There was no mention of checking again before my next check probably 6 months .I have a telephone confrontation/ consultation due so I may ask for some urine sticks to test for keytones
CAROL

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Should all diabetics test their ketones I have been low carbing for months. I am not on any medication and my last hsbc1 was 55 sorry still learning

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

I do...I bought a dual BG/Ketones machine so that I can see if I really am in ketosis.

.5 and under no ketosis

.6 and over ketosis

1.0-3.0 optimal ketosis

:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do...I bought a dual BG/Ketones machine so that I can see if I really am in ketosis.

.5 and under no ketosis

.6 and over ketosis

1.0-3.0 optimal ketosis
And it's only if you start to see ketone levels of 4-5 and over and you have high glucose levels and are lacking sufficient insulin that you need to seriously think about worrying... Nutritional ketosis and the potentially very dangerous diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) are two quite different animals.

Some (low levels of) ketones in wee are quite normal if you're on a low carb diet, but if you are dehydrated then they'll be concentrated - as will be your urine - and you'd get higher readings.

optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg

@carty Carol if you want some urine test strips, go to the chemists and buy some Ketostix, they're about £6.00 for a pot of 50 - and apparently you can cut then in half if you want to be super frugal. :wideyed: The proper ketone strips for meters are horrendously expensive though!

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don't know what I am my gad test came back positive but am on no medication I have probably been having around 50 g carbs a day I have had urine tested but came back fine at time wasn't sure if needed to test my gad test just come back n due to see dn Friday

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test my blood sugars a few times a day all within normal range

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app