1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Ketones

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by No1DeadlyPoison, Oct 18, 2019.

1. No1DeadlyPoison

No1DeadlyPoison Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I haven't been well, I was being sick yesterday but haven't today as of yet, I've eaten but had to wait to make sure I wasn't sick before I did insulin, I'm 16.0 and also checked my ketones to my surprise I have 3.4 ketones, I've never had that many for such a lower ish level. My level was 20.0 yesterday and only had 1 ketone. I don't feel I need to go hospital but I'm not sure what I am meant to do.

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you'd best get medical advice. DKA is nothing to take risks with.
    If you're unwell, as far as I understand, ketones can rise to dangerous levels much quicker than normal.

Hope you'll be well soon!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Over 3mml/L would be regarded as being at risk of DKA. Though high blood sugars are the most obvious sign of DKA, if you didn't taken enough insulin, maybe because you were feeling sick, yesterday, that would be the reason you have such high ketones.

I assume you've taken insulin now? Are you taking a basal insulin? that should reduce the risk of DKA.

I don't really know what you should do, as I've never had ketones so high I had to go to hospital, but I think you should probably talk to someone, just to check your symptoms, and make sure you have taken sufficient insulin. It is a very serious thing, so don't do nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No1DeadlyPoison

No1DeadlyPoison Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have taken my insulin and am on basal. I have just checked my ketones again and they are now 2.2, so they are going in the right direction! I shall keep an eye on them. Thank you for replying! x

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good to hear that, thanks for letting us know your ketones are back to a more reasonable level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook