Ketones

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I definitely have a mild Urinary tract infection (UTI) so have been following sick day rules whilst I try to flush it out my system.

I have just checked my ketones and it is 0.8 which I know is just over that threshold. I have injected more insulin than the food I need in th hope of bringing it down, however I don't have an action plan in place and my diabetes centre will be closed as it's the weekend.

I am just a bit concerned about what I need to do to avoid it escalating?

Any advice would be appreciated!

:)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I definitely have a mild Urinary tract infection (UTI) so have been following sick day rules whilst I try to flush it out my system.

I have just checked my ketones and it is 0.8 which I know is just over that threshold. I have injected more insulin than the food I need in th hope of bringing it down, however I don't have an action plan in place and my diabetes centre will be closed as it's the weekend.

I am just a bit concerned about what I need to do to avoid it escalating?

Any advice would be appreciated!

:)

Hi there, what are your glucose levels like? Normally if both ketones and glucose levels are high then that is where the concern comes from (there may be exceptions). I've just had a type 1 course and they said regarding ketones 'if they hit 3, A&E'. Under that number it is a question of testing and testing your glucose levels & ketone levels. Obviously if you feel terrible regardless of the numbers then you must seek medical advice. To avoid it escalating, I would keep testing my glucose levels, make sure I kept hydrated and possibly eat a few lower carb meals whilst waiting for it to sort itself out IF my glucose was also high. However, it cannot be stressed enough that suddenly rising ketones **can** be an emergency very quickly. You say you have injected more insulin to bring 'it' down, do you mean the ketones? As far as my knowledge goes using extra insulin is for bringing high glucose levels down (which in turn may bring the ketones down), if your glucose levels are not high then obviously using extra insulin is dangerous. Apologies if I am misunderstanding. x

Reactions: ert

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thank you for your response!

That is really helpful to know thank you :)

My levels have been between 10.5-13 so high enough to need to bring it down - yes that is what I was correcting for (I was eating as well).

They seem to have now come down to Lo so fingers crossed it stays that way! :) X

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thank you for your response!

That is really helpful to know thank you :)

My levels have been between 10.5-13 so high enough to need to bring it down - yes that is what I was correcting for (I was eating as well).

They seem to have now come down to Lo so fingers crossed it stays that way! :) X

Glad to see you're ok, you're most welcome. x