Type 1 Ketones

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

For the past few days i have been showing symptoms of Covid, coughing, temp and shortness of breath. This morning i had a Covid test and pending results.

In relation to my diabetes, my bloods are rising to 16/17 during the night then dropping to a hypo, vice versa. I checked my bloods there and at 10.7 with ketones of 0.5.

My ketones usually sit around 0.1 if bloods are high on a normal day, never mind when im feeling rubbish! Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

I checked at midday 0.4 ketones then 30mins later 0.5. I havent ate anything as i havent got much of an appetite, however i am drinking plenty of water.

Thanks

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Sorry to hear you're unwell. Have you contacted your diabetes team at all? I'm not sure what insulin regime you're on but I came accross this the other day which I thought might be useful. https://twitter.com/parthaskar/status/1259526194690654211?s=19

I always remember being told to drink lots of water if ketone levels rise, and try to have something to eat so you can inject. It's important to keep having insulin, but also to have enough glucose available for the insulin so you don't suddenly hypo. I once resorted to a spoon or two of syrup from some tinned peaches every hour or so when I had the flu as my sugars were dropping but I didn't have any appetite.
From the relative scales your ketone levels are still lowish so hopefully the sick day rules on the link attached will help quickly. I'm also not sure what insulin you're on but remember it can stay in your system for a while so be careful not to let doses stack up. Sorry if that is obvious! Hope you feel better soon!