Ketosis is good for you!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve not read the link but could you explain the post title please?
Many insulin dependent diabetics on all types of diets are at risk of elevated ketone levels that if untreated can lead to serious illness and even death.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not read the link but could you explain the post title please?
Many insulin dependent diabetics on all types of diets are at risk of elevated ketone levels that if untreated can lead to serious illness and even death.

Maybe ..
A. Read the link..all will become clear
B. Read the title which doesn't refer to ketoacidosis which is what you are talking about..?

Reactions: ByeBye and Rachox

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe ..
B. Read the title which doesn't refer to ketoacidosis which is what you are talking about..?
I don’t post links nor do I read them.
The title refers to ketones. Too many ketones can be dangerous in certain circumstances.
I’m fully aware of this as I know you are. My only reason for questioning the thread title was to point out that the title could be misleading to the uninformed.

Reactions: porl69

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@bulkbiker so basically fasting produces ketones that inhibit damage and prevents replication of damage. Am I reading that right?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker so basically fasting produces ketones that inhibit damage and prevents replication of damage. Am I reading that right?
Yes that's what it looks like.
Ketones through fasting or dietary carbohydrate restriction.
Maybe even exogenously although I think that just produces expensive wee...

Reactions: ByeBye

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes that's what it looks like.
Ketones through fasting or dietary carbohydrate restriction.
Maybe even exogenously although I think that just produces expensive wee...

That would have to be systemically beneficial for all organs I'd imagine, it wouldn't just be singling out the heart or brain and having no effect else where, like the liver etc. Being that the benefit is significant, it's a win for LC/Keto/Carnivore.

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

I haven’t read the information in here because I can’t be bothered, but I just wanted to pop in and say I agree with the thread title :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't agree with the thread title. They may well be in certain circumstances but entitling the post like that is dangerous in my opinion. Ketones are not 'good for you' when you are in hospital and your glucose levels are sky high and your body's internal system is breaking down. Irresponsible.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe ..

Shouldn't you make that clear in your misleading title then?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before this derails into an argument about nutritional ketosis versus ketoacidosis, I will remind everyone that this thread is posted in the Low Carb Section of the forum, and that ketones are a biological fact of life for every human.

Assuming that ketones will automatically cause ketoacidosis is an error, since ketoacidosis occurs when a combination of factors are present (only one of which is the presence of ketones).

Anyone who is unaware of the clear, clinical differences between having ketones, and having ketoacidosis, would do well to read the following:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before this derails into an argument about nutritional ketosis versus ketoacidosis, I will remind everyone that this thread is posted in the Low Carb Section of the forum, and that ketones are a biological fact of life for every human.

Assuming that ketones will automatically cause ketoacidosis is an error, since ketoacidosis occurs when a combination of factors are present (only one of which is the presence of ketones).

Anyone who is unaware of the clear, clinical differences between having ketones, and having ketoacidosis, would do well to read the following:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html

Hi Brunneria, it is posted in the low carb section but how does that make a difference? All types of diabetics may follow a low carb diet. Surely it is the responsibility of this site to avoid misleading post titles, otherwise I could write any old thing as a post title and simply say 'well read this and that then? I can't see that anybody has assumed that ketones will automatically cause ketoacidosis, that's my point really, the title could easily refer to ANY type of ketones and they are entirely different, one dangerous the other not. What about those people who may not be aware that they are 'unaware' and the site goes to great lengths to differentiate between type 1 and type 2 conditions and the advice given for each, so what's the difference?

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A newly diagnosed diabetic may get high readings then test for ketones, do a search on this site and see this. Very misleading thread title fir a newly diagnosed diabetic in my eyes. Admin, you need to take a look at this from a newly diagnosed diabetic perspective!!! Helpful it is not!!!!

M

Member496333

So anyway, back on topic. I am a firm believer that, outside exceptional circumstances, our bodies run optimally on ketone bodies, with only a small requirement for glucose. Glucose isn't the 'preferred' source of fuel, as many like to frame it. Glucose is burned preferentially because it is toxic outside of a very narrow range and must be dealt with as a matter of highest priority.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So anyway, back on topic. I am a firm believer that, outside exceptional circumstances, our bodies run optimally on ketone bodies, with only a small requirement for glucose. Glucose isn't the 'preferred' source of fuel, as many like to frame it. Glucose is burned preferentially because it is toxic outside of a very narrow range and must be dealt with as a matter of highest priority.

Hi Jim, it's easy to be dismissive of a genuine concern that won't affect you but some of us feel strongly about this. I absolutely agree about nutritional ketones but just feel that it needs to be made absolutely clear what type of ketones this title is referring to, and I think the moderator's are responsible for doing so. I am 100% convinced that if I entitled a post 'ketones are bad for you' in the low carb diet forum it would generate a few expletives if I simply left out the type I am on about.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KK123

Thank you for expressing your concerns. You have stated them clearly and they add the balance that you feel was missing from the original thread title.

Now that any readers are clear on those points, and can read further using the link I provided in my previous post, the thread can get back on topic.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick bump up in case anyone had missed it due to various issues...
Interesting study on mental faculties and ketones..