Ketosis

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if you measure your blood ketones then obviously they will register.
That (so far as I am aware) is the only accurate way. There are sticks you can pee on and breathalysers but none are as accurate as blood ketone meters.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
How will I know when I’m in ketosis?
Hi @Evelynross here is something I wrote about ketosis (from my own experience) back in 2009. Although allowing your control to drop as far as ketosis is extremely unwise, should I be away from Ketostix and not able to do anything except inject insulin, the following would always persuade me to go ahead:
. I would always know when I was in ketosis, because my breathing became very laboured, all my muscles felt as though I had run ten miles and performed fifty press-ups, I had an overwhelming feeling of nausea, would drink vast amounts of water without slaking my thirst, would shun social contact, and my family would notice the all too familiar reek of nail polish remover or pear drops. In later years I realised that it would cloud my vision.
Hope this helps and that you don't need to resort to this type of measuring!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grant_Vicat
I think that the OP as a Type 2 was rather hoping for nutritional ketosis rather than ketoacidosis which is what you as an ex-Type 1 would have been trying to avoid.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
@Grant_Vicat
I think that the OP as a Type 2 was rather hoping for nutritional ketosis rather than ketoacidosis which is what you as an ex-Type 1 would have been trying to avoid.
That'll teach me. Many thanks!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
815EB597-DD08-4C0A-8316-07FAC4FF025F.jpeg

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things. They just share the first four letters, but of course our HCPs panic at the merest sniff of a ketone, especially in a type 1 when glucose levels are high.

Urine ketosticks are relatively cheap but pretty inaccurate- they can be useful in indicating that they are present, but not the actual amount; the only real way to get an accurate level is by measuring blood ketones.

Are you aiming for ketosis as a dietary thing?

Mona N.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
The way that physical and mental well-being is often ignored in the modern every day world.
I lost about 30 pounds, nearly 3 years ago and have maintained Keto throughout. I find that Virta Health, a clinic devoted to reversing diabetes through nutritional ketosis offers a lot of free / credible advice through their blog.