Keytones

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I know we all test our B G regularly but how often do you test your keytones. I test once a week to keep an eye on them, mine are usually below 0.2

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't do regular ketone tests as there is no real need.

I only test when my sugars are unexpectedly high. For me anything above 15 I test straight way, any time I get between 20 and 15 for a couple of tests with no apparent help from correction dose then I test. So essentially once I invoke sick day rules.

Otherwise I don't bother since you will often have a small amount floating around depending on when you last ate, it's just how your body functions.

/A

Reactions: 2 people

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I generally don't test ketones. When I was diagnosed last year, I initially had to on a regular basis until it settled down, but after the insulin regime settled in and my bg and ketones became stable, I was told I didn't need to test ketones unless otherwise informed.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The chances of having above low levels of Keytones without high blood sugars are negligable so no I wouldnt and dont test them (i cant remember when I did last)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In 20 yrs of being T1D I never have, my HCPs have never said about ketones nor to test for them - I take that as a positive. :playful: